Rivets or Langet Nails
Hello fellow forumites,

I'm new to the myArmoury community and have thoroughly enjoyed reading through all the great information contained within. For the past few years I've made a hobby of longbow and arrow recreation, but have yet to tackle any other types of historical arms. After viewing some of the threads here, I've decided to purchase and mount the GDFB pollaxe head...and that leads me to my main question - are langet nails or rivets the better way to go? This will mostly be a display piece, but I wouldn't mind pulling it down for some pumpkin and watermelon cutting from time to time. That being said, what say ye, nails or rivets?

On another note, I've noticed that KOA now lists this head as Battle Ready. Does anyone know if it's been "beefed up?" Based on the original posts from a few years ago, the metal at the base of the hammer head seemed to be a little thin. Thanks!
Rivets would be ideal. Langet nails would be fine for only occasional use if you combine it with epoxy to create a permanent bond, though.

(This is strictly IMO, and if anybody with more experience than me speaks up, by all means listen to them first!)
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Rivets would be ideal. Langet nails would be fine for only occasional use if you combine it with epoxy to create a permanent bond, though.

(This is strictly IMO, and if anybody with more experience than me speaks up, by all means listen to them first!)

Thanks Jeffrey. One followup for you. Assuming that my haft is 1 and 1/4 inches, is there a chance that the rivets (though small as they are) compromise the integrity of the haft by making there too little wood around the rivet? I'll be using ash or hickory, so I'm not anticipating any problems. Thanks!
Jonathan Hodge wrote:
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:

Thanks Jeffrey. One followup for you. Assuming that my haft is 1 and 1/4 inches, is there a chance that the rivets (though small as they are) compromise the integrity of the haft by making there too little wood around the rivet? I'll be using ash or hickory, so I'm not anticipating any problems. Thanks!

Probably fine. Just make sure you are going across the grain rather than parallel with it, as that increases the chances of a split. Think + rather than ||. Look at the end of the staff and observe what direction the grain goes, and try to bisect that. The grain should be parallel with the blade of the pole-axe.
[quote="Jeffrey Faulk"][quote="Jonathan Hodge"]
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:

Probably fine. Just make sure you are going across the grain rather than parallel with it, as that increases the chances of a split. Think + rather than ||. Look at the end of the staff and observe what direction the grain goes, and try to bisect that. The grain should be parallel with the blade of the pole-axe.

Another great observation that I would've missed. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: