Schweizerdegen
Hi all

Schweizerdegen, late XVth century.

Commission work, after an example that popped up in a famous auction house a few years ago.

Hand-forged high carbon steel blade, steel fittings and oak grip.

This is the *third* blade I made for this one Degen…first one chipped during quench, second one burnt in the forge (still can’t figure why…)…
The blade bevels are hollow on over half its length, resulting in a light and agile yet strong blade - and it is sharp, as my middle finger experienced…

Such long daggers/short swords, with their typical crescent-shaped guards and pommels were worn by the dreaded Swiss warriors in the XVth and early XVIth century.

This one follows the construction methods of the original pieces, with the fittings first nailed to the handle then the assmbled hilt fit over the tang before final peening.

OAL 53 cm. Weight is 278 g.

Cheers

Fab

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Really nice Fabrice, it has a very real presence! I like these Swiss swords, it's great to see your own very historical recreation. Someone is lucky to have this.
Thats lovely Fabrice,

I fell in love with style ever since seeing one in the 'Medieval Soldier' book a couple of decades ago and a really crisp yet 'earthy' piece. Well done.

Tod
Leo Todeschini wrote:
I fell in love with style ever since seeing one in the 'Medieval Soldier' book a couple of decades ago and a really crisp yet 'earthy' piece. Well done.

That's exactly what got me interested in the style, too!
I love these, too, and I have a project on my to-do list. It's great to see a new one!

I have noticed a great deal of variation in hilts, blade lengths and overall quality in surviving examples, but I can't recall seeing anything but some variation on the diamond section. Fabrice, or anyone else: Have you ever seen a tapered hexagonal blade mounted in this style?

I want one so I can be as cool as this guy.

Attachment: 221.84 KB
bears.gif

Hi Sean

I'd have to check my files, but AFAIK I don't know of any. (Where is the hex blade in that pic BTW ? )

And thanks all for the appreciation.

Cheers

Fab
thanks! no bare (bear!) blades in that image. i just mean that i want a degen of this general form.
Due to weird circumstances, this Degen might very well be available again soon...

Cheers

Fab
I have no wish to derail this thread at all, but while searching through various myArmoury threads and auction house images, I found a post on myArmoury or bladesmith forums by Peter Johnsson showcasing not a few of these in longer lengths, and one or two separate hilts. One of the examples had a longer, wider hexagonal blade with a shorter, gothic arch point. Wish I had that link to hand...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: