Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Dresden "Rapier" Impressions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
To go off topic about cannon, do you happen to shoot at that contest in Michigan I saw on the history channel, Gordon? It is a black powder antique cannon competition where they compete in 4 divisions: Rifled, smoothbore, mortar, and mountain gun. There was a really cool show about this contest on a couple of hours ago on the History Channel.

Alina;

Nope, sorry to say! I do, however know some of the contestants (of course Big Grin ). One of my compadres who takes active part in such amusements (and usually wins, BTW) is also a maker of wheellocks, Taylor Anderson, out of Texas. He's done some artillery demo's for The History Channel, and ran the Artillery for the recent film "The Alamo" (much of which belongs to him). Cool guy, top-notch gunmaker, with some NICE artillery!

But being a California Boy, Michigan is a ways for me to drive just to shoot cannons. But to play Cavalry on the other hand, well, now, that's a different story, LOL! Big Grin

Cheers, and thanks for the comment!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So Gordon,

Where's the pic of you wearing the Dresden? I'm especially interested in the suspension you are using.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate;

Here are a couple of pics from the last School of the Renaissance Soldier, held in April in Sacramento, CA. The buckles were made by Richard Lanni of Florida, who unfortunately has since broken some part of his casting apparatus and is for the present not producing any more, which is quite unfortunate indeed. Hopefully he'll be back in business soon, as his buckles are quite nicely done.

BTW, the arm harness of my armour (pauldrons, rerebraces, couters and vambraces), as well as the gorget, were made for me by Allan Senefelder of Mecenary's Tailor. They are quite nice, and perfect for a good quality munitions armour (just what I wanted, in fact!)

Allons!

Gordon

Attachment: 8.88 KB
Armour-on-Woody-1A.jpg

Attachment: 14.52 KB
Teaching-in-Formation2.jpg

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool photo!

Is the elbow vambrace/couter period correct? It looks more like it belongs on a transitional harness from the mid- to late-14th century. I haven't seen any Renaissance pieces that look quite like that, but I'll confess to knowing less about Renaissance armour.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill;

Thanks! We had a grand time, and the weather cooperated by supplying us with nice Northern European climate of plenty of rain and cool breezes. AKA pretty darned cold and wet, but great for wearing lots of wool and iron. Happy

As far as I can tell, the arm harness is indeed period correct. It's all of a piece, pulled on rather like a sleeve and then buckled to the gorget, rather than the later style of fixing the separate pieces to the arming doublet via arming points. The upper part of the rerebraces rotate, and are riveted to the pauldrons at that point. The couters form a complete circle, encasing the elbow joint completely (though of course there is plenty of room to allow for movement, or the penetration of a sword point as well), where as many of the high-tone versions had articulations within the couter. The armour I'm wearing isn't dead-on-the-money I'll freely admit, but it's pretty decent stuff, especially when you consider that it's pretty much off-the-shelf from Allan's workshop.

Here's an illustration from Kreigkunst zu Pferde, by J J von Walhausen, 1616, showing the one-piece arm defenses.

Allons!

Gordon

Attachment: 34.05 KB
LancerCruso.jpg

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Bill; It's all of a piece, pulled on rather like a sleeve and then buckled to the gorget, rather than the later style of fixing the separate pieces to the arming doublet via arming points.
Gordon

Just a minor point but maybe you meant " earlier " rather than " later " ? The fixing of the arm armour as individual parts using points would be earlier and also with the Gothic styles that preferred using points. Most of the other styles were somewhat riveted together in sub-assemblies with the ones you have being close to the most recent styles.

The type of arm armour you are using can still be seen in mid 17th century paintings of nobles wearing armour and I think would also be O.K. for late 15th or early 16th century: Small subtle differences that an expert would use to date to specific
decades I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to notice or comment on. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for the info and pics, Gordon!

(And I must say, you look pretty hard core with the arms armoured like that!)

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean;

Thanks for the correction! Yup... "earlier" is indeed what I meant. I'm still tired from doing the past two weekends of Equestrian Shows at the local Western Washington Renaissance Faire (So's my horse!) so cognitive ability isn't to the fore at the moment. Wink

As far as I am aware, the fashion for attaching all of the pieces of the arm harness together is pretty much 16th-17th Century, perhaps from the fazing out of the arming doublet (though perhaps the arming doublet became passe because they didn't need to tie armour pieces on anymore, too. Not sure on that one). As I recall the use of arming points was going out towards the end of the 16th Century on high-quality armours, but had become a thing of the past in munitions grade armours some decades previous. As I recall, that is...

Bill;

Thanks for the complements! Blush Now to really get used to wearing the durned things. It's easy to wear, and mount my horse, and ride, in the cuirass and gorget, but when you add on the arm harness, it starts getting complex! Add a vision-restricting helmet, and you see why it took LOTS of practice and training to make a proficient Gendarme. Gentlemen such as fellow posters Rod Walker or Lloyd Clark can speak to this far better than I, they've been doing it a LOT longer!

Allons!

Gordon

Nate C.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Gordon,

Those are really cool looking pics. Once I get out of school and Start making the big bucks, I am definitely going to have to get a decent half armor and accoutrements. I'll also need to learn to ride Razz Big Grin .

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy

Last edited by Nate C. on Tue 15 Aug, 2006 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate;

Go for it! Once you get into riding, it becomes pretty all-consuming, but by "tempering" it with a love of swords, armour, and other weapons, one can quite easily turn a Large Fortune into a Small Fortune in a short amount of time! Big Grin Just take lots of lessons in horsemanship, ride a LOT before you take the plunge and buy a horse so that you don't get a "problem horse" that you then fall in love with, and then, pic a period!

Gads, I love this stuff!

Allons!

Gordon

Nate C.

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Gordon,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to get into the riding class at my school this fall. we'll see how that works out. As to the large fortune to small fortune conversion, I unfortunately have never had inexpensive hobbies Worried . Which current riding style (western/English) is closer to cavalry/military riding?

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate;

Good fellow! Riding is, of course, a primary skill for a well rounded Gentleman, so I'm glad that you are pursuing it. Cool

Per riding styles, I would suggest beginning with English, as you learn to use your legs and keep your balance early on. They tend to prefer to use both hands on the reins, which I still find weird, but there it is. Once you have a good seat, with confidence in your abilities, move on the Western where you learn neck-reining and riding with long stirrups.

Military riding has sort of bounced between the two extremes, depending upon the era, and of course both are in a way decended of styles of riding developed for warfare. It's good to be able to use your leg aids, such as with English/European riding, while you also need to be able to use your right hand for a weapon (or a riata, as the case may be) as in Western. So learning both, and then perhaps also experimenting, and finally attaching yourself to a joust troupe or Cavalry Troop of reenactors would give you a good polish on a good start. There you can learn the use of weapons in your right hand while controlling the horse with your left, and your legs. Good Luck!

Anyway, Bully!

Allons!

Gordon

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Dresden "Rapier" Impressions
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: