Early Scottish Dirk
Here is a Scottish dirk I'm finishing.. in the 'early style'. It bears a 12 inch high layer damascus blade of 15n20 and 1084 with a pattern that you will see from me again. The handle is boxwood (Buxus sp.) and represents my most ambitious carving project and could be seen as a bit of a turning point in my work. The pommel bears a bronze plate and nickel silver peen block. The scabbard is vegetable tanned leather over a wooden core.

Hope you enjoy and please pass on any comments regarding the accuracy of this piece (other than the damascus of course). I have a strong desire to pursue Scottish arms and am finally getting to the point in which I feel I can tackle these things.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

I have more pictures on my website and you will also find purchasing information.

http://www.bigrockforge.com/early-scottish-dirk/

Also.. I'm working on developing a working model for a western Highlands 'ribbon hilt'. At this point I'm working off of a few known measurements and using the British Basket Hilt book.. and trying the best I can. I've been looking at whatever relic scars I can see to figure out attachment points.. and am trying to develop a working pattern that I can apply to flat stock. Right now I have a light gauge steel model I'm working on .. hopefully this will put me on the right track. I also have a friend with an EB Erickson ribbon hilt coming out for a visit soon.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

So stay tuned for that.
Lovely work Scott. I'm always glad to see more people making Scottish weapons.
Excellent work! Your ambition certainly worked out very well to say the least.
Nice late 17th Century Dirk, Scott! Perhaps the next one could have a mono-steel blade, like the originals? What price range do you think that would be in? I collect dirks of this type.
Thanks for posting the ribbon hilt project Scott. I'll be watching with great interest, as I intend to something along those lines myself at some stage.
I was considering hammering out sufficient wrought iron "ribbon", but time is at a premium, so a folded sheet construction has its own appeal.
Tim Harris wrote:
Thanks for posting the ribbon hilt project Scott. I'll be watching with great interest, as I intend to something along those lines myself at some stage.
I was considering hammering out sufficient wrought iron "ribbon", but time is at a premium, so a folded sheet construction has its own appeal.

Tim.. yes.. actually this sheet model is to allow me to do such things. In fact.. that is just my goal. I have in my possession a bunch of the most beautifully forging Swedish wrought iron anchor chain links that I would like to forge into 'ribbons' for this project. But doing it from plate is certainly a way to go... or perhaps a combination. In fact.. doing a combination of wrought iron with steel plate is a good idea as it would facilitate the forge welding of the components.. if you choose to forge weld instead of conventional welding. I, personally, will have to do a combination with that as well. My little 110v wire welder is rather weak so I will tack the pieces together and then set the welds in the forge.

Christopher...

Certainly. I have an email inquiry right now regarding having a mono-steel blade in the fashion of a broken sword. I have to do some research on the steel availability in the Highlands.. but I would like to do one from either shear steel or crucible steel. If I do crucible steel the goal would be something more along the lines of Sheffield crucible steel.. a type that doesn't show a watered pattern.
Always excited to see an excellent craftsman pursue making Scottish weapons. Your work is excellent.

Look forward to seeing the ribbon hilt in finished form.
Lin Robinson wrote:
Always excited to see an excellent craftsman pursue making Scottish weapons. Your work is excellent.

Look forward to seeing the ribbon hilt in finished form.

Thank you Lin.... I appreciate it.
Lovely work Scott! Im loving the look and feel of almost all of your pieces.
Matthew Stagmer wrote:
Lovely work Scott! Im loving the look and feel of almost all of your pieces.

Thank you Matt... always nice to hear from my peers....

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: