Recommendation for a custom maker
Who is the most recommended smith for a custom piece? My idea should be easy to do as it's not based off a historical item.

Attachment: 98.79 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Bevan Jonsson on Thu 13 Aug, 2015 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
It really depends on the project and what you can afford.

*What I wrote later isn't really applicable to this project at all, was from a different thread.*

Last edited by J. Nicolaysen on Wed 12 Aug, 2015 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
J. Nicolaysen wrote:
It really depends on the project and what you can afford.

For this one I have in mind Vince Evans, Robert Moc and Castle Keep (Rob Miller). All three would bring something different to the project, and there are advantages for each one. It will also depend on their time frame, and whether they would be interested in it.

For a forged katana, I eventually went with Walter Sorrells after investigating several other American smiths. I really like Walter's ethos and swords. I did not need to do the research I am doing on this one because it was at Walter's discretion what to do after a few suggestions from me.

Basically just spend some time looking at smiths whose work you like. If it is for the mace you posted about elsewhere, I think A&A is a great company. But there are some European smiths who do very good work for maces also. Since I want to do an exact replica, it really seems to take some extra thinking...

Actually the custom piece I have in mind is not a historical item at all. Its a custom made blade and I've attached a picture of what I'm after. At a total length of 30 inches, I'm not sure what it would be classified as. Perhaps a machete?

I want it made out of blackened 5160 carbon steel with a micarta handle and paracord wrap. Since it's simply one piece of metal, I can't imagine it'd be over $400.
I might suggest Lonely Wolf Forge; he's in the right price range and does good work on rough-and-tough pieces just like this. (I'm the current owner of this blade and love it to pieces.)
I'd say that the Miller Brothers products are right up your alley. My good friend was considering purchasing a knife from them, but I think he wound up not getting it (I originally typed that he did, but I think he went another route for a different sort of project - my apologies). Still, their products look great and the videos of the blades being tested seems a good testament of their quality!

www.millerbrosblades.com/

-Gregory
Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
I'd say that the Miller Brothers products are right up your alley. My good friend was considering purchasing a knife from them, but I think he wound up not getting it (I originally typed that he did, but I think he went another route for a different sort of project - my apologies). Still, their products look great and the videos of the blades being tested seems a good testament of their quality!

-Gregory

Oh wow, their items do look like what im after. Thanks mate!
Some good options mentioned,
hadn't seen the Miller bros ones, cool stuff,
But,
to me your pic looks just like one of the cold steel or windlass gladius type patterns pictured over at kult of Athena,
cant remember the actual one, cobra line or some such, or tak line or similer,
also your description, if A trims were more available, that might be a top option, as would Tinker,
let us know what you get in the end,
there are a few makers out your way,
worth a search ;)
Gregory J. Liebau wrote:

-Gregory

haha they want to charge me $1500 for it. . . maybe not
I think that Scorpion Swords might be able to do that for you. The make a lot of things that are in that universe.
Roger Hooper wrote:
I think that Scorpion Swords might be able to do that for you. The make a lot of things that are in that universe.

Thanks mate. Given the leaf style of my design, I'm looking at early Gladius and Celtic swords. They have some nice ones on there
You might find something here.
http://www.zombietools.net/
Bevan Jonsson wrote:
haha they want to charge me $1500 for it. . . maybe not

Wow! I realized that some of their stuff cost in that range, but that's very surprising for the piece in question! They have much more complicated looking stuff that is less expensive. Must be because it's "custom." Bummer!

-Gregory
Check out the guys at dragon's breath forge, they are based in Connecticut. my fiancé commissioned them to make a very nice custom piece for me last year and they did a great job. They definately make similar swords in your price range and aren't afraid to do new things with steel. Three of the smiths also competed in Forged in Fire and did very well- see the katana, crusader sword and Gladius episodes if you want to see them in action.
I'll throw in another recommendation for Lonely Wolf. He just finished up a seax for me and was great to work with. He provided constant updates and was clear and concise in communication at all times. Also very timely and excellently priced. +1 to him.
Zombietools or Baltimore Knife and Sword could make this design pretty easily for around the $3-500 mark. The latter would probably be more interested in taking up your custom project and in my opinion make a better product. I've dealt with dozens of BKS products and every one has been bulletproof.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: