Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's Maximilian. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Albion's Maximilian.         Reply with quote

I had a few of the sharpies out today so I thought I'd snap a photo. Since I haven't seen a lot of photos, or any really, of this sword in-hand and I thought this might give it a sense of scale. The Maximilian is one of my favorite production swords and handles quite well for a sword of it's size. The writhen/roped furniture is also one of my favorite furniture motif's. I stand at an even six feet.

[ Linked Image ]

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice! I have been really taken with the Albion Tyrolean (Landsknecht), with a similar blade shape and size, but the Max's writhen furniture is super nice. The day I actually have to make a decision will be a hard one. I've always loved the writhen furniture of the A&A German Branch sword and like that there is a similar style on this two-hander also. Wickedly effective, and with class.

Nice shirt by the way, very appropriate. I should probably get one with my next order.

Last edited by J. Nicolaysen on Fri 07 Aug, 2015 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Nice shirt by the way, very appropriate. I should probably get one with my next order.

I thought a little product placement was in order. Big Grin

Hector A.

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations beautiful sword, the choice of grip color is on point.

How long did the whole process of ordering and receiving take?
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man, that's HUGE! Both you and the sword. And the sword is SO HUGE that it looks big even in your hands.
Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was fortunate to handle a Tyrolean a few months back...it was an awe inspiring sword. Massive but not a clunker in feel, not at all, not sluggish for it's size and heft, which while substantial was still very well balanced.

A few things that jumped out at me that I found super appealing. The double fullered hex blade was just fantastic. I love the hexagonal cross section in general, and the wide and massive hex blade on these blades is really great. The other thing I noticed and felt it was spot on was the upper grip width...it was big, felt almost like an ax handle..but in a good way. A sword of that size needs a larger grip in my opinion, especially the upper hand portion. With the 5 lb weight and long blade length....a substantial grip in both girth and length is definitely needed. That wasted grip was perfect for that sword.

One of these days I will try and get one of the 3 models that share this blade....I think the Max may be the one for me although I like all 3 models.

The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

... if Albion ever starts making commercials for TV, or YouTubie, or for wherever
I think PK should be the person modelling each sword ...

... can't tell if he's smiling though, may have to get an acting coach for that ...

Great Great sword, no doubt.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
... if Albion ever starts making commercials for TV, or YouTubie, or for wherever

... can't tell if he's smiling though, may have to get an acting coach for that ...

I've spent some time with Patrick; that is his smile. Big Grin Actually, Patrick can smile. See the picture below.

I knew that was a big sword, but seeing it with something/someone for scale is really eye opening. Since I am pretty much the exact opposite of Patrick (5' 9", 145 lbs), I think I'll stick with my Agincourt. If Patrick gets a shot of his son holding that sword, it would be closer to what it would look like in my hands.

-- Grey

Attachment: 3.1 KB
PK_smile.jpg

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hector A. wrote:
How long did the whole process of ordering and receiving take?

Oh my, you had to go there didn't you. Big Grin

About six years, round about. I knew I had to have this one when Albion introduced it for advanced reservation. Consequently, I was order number one. It took Albion six years to bring it to completion for a variety of reasons. On the downside, this was incredibly frustrating. On the upside, I locked the sword in at a substantially lower price than the one listed when the sword finally was put into production. To be fair though this is the only experience I've had with Albion like this. Everything I've ordered since then has been delivered in a timely manner.

If I could change one thing about this sword I'd go with the half-wire wrap on the grip. I really think that would look great on this one. Unfortunately, Albion didn't offer it when I ordered the sword and I didn't think to ask about it before it was shipped. If shipping wasn't so high on this one I'd consider sending it back and having it done.

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Fri 07 Aug, 2015 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:

I'm smiling on the inside, in my feeling place. Wink

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Fri 07 Aug, 2015 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
If Patrick gets a shot of his son holding that sword, it would be closer to what it would look like in my hands.

-- Grey

Not anymore Greyson, he's about 6'3" now. Big Grin
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:
Man, that's HUGE! Both you and the sword. And the sword is SO HUGE that it looks big even in your hands.

The sword is surprisingly agile for it's size. In fact, in my hands it almost feels like a big longsword instead of a true two-hander, very nice handling qualities.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
I was fortunate to handle a Tyrolean a few months back...it was an awe inspiring sword. Massive but not a clunker in feel, not at all, not sluggish for it's size and heft, which while substantial was still very well balanced.

A few things that jumped out at me that I found super appealing. The double fullered hex blade was just fantastic. I love the hexagonal cross section in general, and the wide and massive hex blade on these blades is really great. The other thing I noticed and felt it was spot on was the upper grip width...it was big, felt almost like an ax handle..but in a good way. A sword of that size needs a larger grip in my opinion, especially the upper hand portion. With the 5 lb weight and long blade length....a substantial grip in both girth and length is definitely needed. That wasted grip was perfect for that sword.

One of these days I will try and get one of the 3 models that share this blade....I think the Max may be the one for me although I like all 3 models.

Thanks for the mini-review of the Tyrolean, Bryan. That is the sword I meant in my earlier post, I guess "Landsknecht" is a sub-description.

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I'm smiling, on the inside in my feeling place.
Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Classic!

Oh by the way, maybe now you will do a Landsknecht kit like the excellent Norman Knight kit you have posted on Albion's site?

Last edited by J. Nicolaysen on Fri 07 Aug, 2015 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Greyson Brown wrote:
If Patrick gets a shot of his son holding that sword, it would be closer to what it would look like in my hands.

-- Grey

Not anymore Greyson, he's about 6'3" now. Big Grin

That is just not possible! I still have the picture we took at the Wichita Ren Faire, and he was basically my height then. That had to be just a year or two ago, right? It was 2006 or so; that can't be nearly a decade ago*. WTF?!

Where does the time go?

-- Grey

* To be honest, I'm still convinced that 1995 was a decade ago, but people keep telling me otherwise.

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

That is just not possible! I still have the picture we took at the Wichita Ren Faire, and he was basically my height then. That had to be just a year or two ago, right? It was 2006 or so; that can't be nearly a decade ago*. WTF?!

Where does the time go?

-- Grey

* To be honest, I'm still convinced that 1995 was a decade ago, but people keep telling me otherwise.

Once he got into highschool he had quite the growth spurt! Quite tall and lanky now, married and in the Navy. I think your visit was around '08 or '09 but yes, it doesn't seem like that long. I'm now within a very few years of retirement from the state and I still have trouble wrapping my head around where the time went.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:

Oh by the way, maybe now you will do a Landsknecht kit like the excellent Norman Knight kit you have posted on Albion's site?

Tempting, but doubtful. Big Grin
Jeff Kaisla

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man that is bigger than I expected Patrick! This one is definitely on my "Albion Final Pick" list....just narrowly beating out the Tyrolean. I like the Tyrolean for the Braveheart-ish appearance, but the Maximilian....well it just looks the part for the period. After the steel has naturally darkened and acquired a light patina, it would blend right in with originals.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Kaisla wrote:
Man that is bigger than I expected Patrick! This one is definitely on my "Albion Final Pick" list....just narrowly beating out the Tyrolean. I like the Tyrolean for the Braveheart-ish appearance, but the Maximilian....well it just looks the part for the period. After the steel has naturally darkened and acquired a light patina, it would blend right in with originals.

For me it was the exact opposite. I consider Braveheart to be something of a cinematic abortion, so that connection made the Tyrolean off putting. On the other hand, I love two-handed swords and writhen furniture so the Maximilian was a must have.

Hector A.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Jeff Kaisla wrote:

For me it was the exact opposite. I consider Braveheart to be something of a cinematic abortion, so that connection made the Tyrolean off putting. On the other hand, I love two-handed swords and writhen furniture so the Maximilian was a must have.

How long did the process of ordering and receiving it take in total?
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hector A. wrote:
How long did the process of ordering and receiving it take in total?

Refer to Post #9.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's Maximilian.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: