Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Jan 31: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Considering all of the features for this week's site update, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
70%
 70%  [ 38 ]
Very Good
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Good
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fair
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 54

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
The desire for those books goes well beyond that, Patrick. Many of the difficult to acquire titles are foreign-language publications that document items rarely seen on this side of the globe.

I agree, and in that case they're well worth the expense. However, many of the books published in the english language in the late 19th-early 20th century are almost laughable in their inaccuracies, yet are getting pretty expensive. If a book has detailed photos of rare and unseen items it's worth the cost on that point alone.

For example, I recently sold a couple of first editions I've owned for years by Burton and Hutton. They're rare and relatively expensive simply because of their age. Yet they're so full of jingoistic victorian predjudice that they really aren't good sources of information. Some of the more recently published titles on the same subjects are much more accurate and informative.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: The Paper Armoury         Reply with quote

Kudo's to you, Sean, for putting together such a great list of titles! All of the one's that are listed that I have I would recommend heartily, and those that I don't have, I want to buy!

Thanks for putting it up, and sharing with all!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Derek Wright

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Darkwood Armory English Rapier         Reply with quote

As someone who lives in the southeastern United States and occasionally faces the Darkwood crew at tournament, these are the finest of weapons ~ especially for reasonable price ~ and hell to face with a 40" del tin on it.
I have my eye on one for the coming year, perhaps as my me-me Christmas present, and am fairly shocked by the variety of the stock offerings. It is a fun site to window shop.www.darkwoodarmory.com

Geoff Freeman's custom Darkwood by Scott Wilson matches the spirit of the period weapon, and the Darkwood is every bit the fighting sword that the original may be, though I suspect it may be much more. The chevron'd wire looks very, very nice (lucky glove, eh?) Though, I think at 2 lbs. 10oz. this sword would handle nicely ~ not heavy to me Geoff, but the wrist moulinet may be tricky.

I believe the burden of owning this weapon would force me to use this weapon almost exclusively as my main hand for the foreseeable future, if not forever. In fact, a sword this nice is a good excuse to challenge the locals, often. Lunge their hearts as they stare at the fancy hilt. Perhaps an unfair advantage?

I demand an article including the dagger - maybe after a little tournament experience with the set.

Have fun and play fair,

Rathpig - born 400 years after my prime.
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Being able to say "I have one of those" isn't enough for me anymore.

Being a collector of books, as well as swords, I can tell you from experience that sometimes that's all it takes. It is merely the desire to own as opposed to any seemingly utilitarian value that's important. Book lust can sometimes be as illogical as sword lust.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to Sean for the excellent books article, The Paper Armoury, though I was kinda surprised to not see any of John Clements' books on the list, or am I just old and blind? (I'll be 28 this year Cool )

I'll tell you what I would love to find and would buy in a heartbeat: Fiore dei Liberi's "Flos Duellatorum" in English.
-Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Thanks to Sean for the excellent books article, The Paper Armoury, though I was kinda surprised to not see any of John Clements' books on the list, or am I just old and blind?

Ted,
You saw correctly. This article was really staff members' favorites, and was not meant to be an all-inclusive recommended reading list. John's books have great value, they just didn't happen to be in the top 5 for those who participated. That's not a knock of JC's work, but a testament to the amount of good resources available today.

If this had been an article focused specifically on WMA books, it probably would have been different.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Thanks to Sean for the excellent books article, The Paper Armoury, though I was kinda surprised to not see any of John Clements' books on the list, or am I just old and blind? (I'll be 28 this year Cool )

I'll tell you what I would love to find and would buy in a heartbeat: Fiore dei Liberi's "Flos Duellatorum" in English.
-Ted

This will probably be the first of an on-going series of articles and shouldn't be viewed as a "These are the only books worth having" kind of reference.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Jan 31: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: