Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rapier Hanger specs Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Todd Hezeau

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Rapier Hanger specs         Reply with quote

I am in the process of building my own rapier hanger. I have ordered the hardware and have my leather and have my design in mind, what I am unsure of is the length of the straps that attach to the scabbard and the length of the belt pieces. I have a 32 inch waist if that helps and it's going to be simple 6 buckle design with period hardware. I can find images galore of hangers with the scabbard attached or the buckles buckled but nothing that would indicate an average length of the belt pieces or the scabbard buckle straps. I have an idea of what the scabbard strap length should be but wanted others opinions before I start cutting things out. Any info would be helpful.
17th century man
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I usually have 3-4 inches from the hanger body to the slider buckles on the suspension straps. I've seen some hangers where the body is really long and the strap are short, and some where the body is short and the straps are long.

For the belly strap just put the hook on one end and buckle it up and then cut the strap to your desired length.

Last edited by Lloyd Winter on Tue 28 Jul, 2015 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When in doubt... leave it long, try it on, and trim to fit. You can always cut shorter; you can't cut longer!
Todd Hezeau

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you guys. One more dumb question. What weight leather would be recommended. I have about a few pieces of 4 to 5oz that would be large enough to make the belts and belly strap but not big enough to cut the hanger itself with straps. I would have to rivet straps on it if I were to use that weight. I have a rather large piece of 9 to 10oz leather that I could make everything out of but wasn't sure if that was going to be too thick. I have not received my buckles yet so I guess I could test fit that and see when I get them.

Thanks again!

17th century man
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I usually use 4oz with a 1 oz lining for the hanger or 2 layers for 2 oz.

If you want the hanger buckles, not the strapping buckles, to slide instead if being buckled I think 8-9 oz is too heavy.
Todd Hezeau

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies to my questions. I have another now. I have made the belt portion of the hanger with the 5oz leather that I had laying around. It is Chromexcel leather and, although the weight is good I think, the leather itself just feels too flimsy and is rather stretchy. Since I am ignorant about what types of leather are like, what leather would you recommend I use? Vegetable tanned or oil tanned as that is what has been recommended but wanted you folks opinion as well. Thanks in advance for your help.
17th century man
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never heard of chromexcel but it sounds like some sort of chrome tanned leather.
I always use veg-tanned or oil-tanned leather for my belts. Usually veg-tanned.
Chrome tanned is fine for the body and lining of the hanger but not for a sword belt in my opinion.
Your results may vary.
Todd Hezeau

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Lloyd.

Yes it is a Chromed tanned leather and you are correct as it did not work very well for the belt so I am re-creating the belt out of veggie tanned. Here are some images of the finished piece. Mind you this is my first attempt.

Attachment: 256 KB
20150831_214412_1.jpg

Attachment: 260.09 KB
20150831_214453_1.jpg

Attachment: 234.54 KB
20150831_214509_1.jpg

17th century man
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice job. I can't quite tell if it's set up for a right or left hand draw? But whatever side it hangs on, it's well done Happy

I should have suggested this before but I failed to remember-- one way to measure whatever lengths you may need is to use string, which is quite possibly what they did back in the day. Put an old belt on your waist, tie a few strings to your scabbard and attach them to the belt, play with the lengths till the scabbard and sword hang the way you want them to. That way you pretty much instantly get the necessary lengths, and you don't even have to measure-- just show your leather to the string, and you'll have what you need.

Looks like you sorted it out yourself quite well though!
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's right handed.
That's nice work, and for a for a first attempt that's really nice work.
You are to be congratulated, and the guild of leather workers predicts a bright future for you. Happy
I wish my first attempts were as good.
Where did you get the fittings if I may ask?
Todd Hezeau

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you!

The fittings came from Darkwood Amory. They are the Oak leaf. They also have hearts as well. Nice quality for the price and I just love the finish. Most of the others I saw were twice the price and brass and I am not a brass person.

Learned quite a bit making this one. Look forward to the next. I'll add some images with it all attached being worn.

17th century man
Kalu Charan Parida

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That a good though of creating the one on your own. Best of luck.
I know that making a rapier on own is not an easy task. That's why I usually get military swords for my sword collection from online sword store.
Todd Hezeau

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Had to see the hanger but this was taken out at Texas Ren Fair a few weekends ago. I am actually in the process of making another one as I really am not happy with the leather used in on this one. Lessons learned!

Attachment: 53.08 KB
me.jpg

17th century man
Stephen J. Hoke

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

About the time I was ar TRF. I found Darkwood's hanger hardware thanks to this post.

Glad you started this topic

Steve

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rapier Hanger specs
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic