Shopping for antiques in Rhodes
I'm planning a short trip to island of Rhodes sometime next month. As always, I'll be looking for antiques or at least good reproductions or contemporary culturally significant local blades. Any ideas and advices from you guys on, where to shop, which types of blades to look for and what to avoid will be greatly appreciated. I will be especially grateful if you can point to a specific antique shop, or local market or district because I will have limited time there, and I don't speak Greek so it will be a challenge.

And, of course, which museums or historical sites is a must-see for a sword and martial history enthusiast like me? I'll be grateful for your advices.

Thank you all, in advance :)

P.S. I hope I posted this in the right place. If not so, please don't hesitate to move or delete this thread.
Shopping for antiques in Rhodes
I bet there are antiques, especially captured Ottoman swords, sold at flea markets throughout that Greek island.
After spending half a day wandering around the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul and through many antique shops in Thessaloniki, I would presume that on Rhodes it is more likely that you will find lots of old reproductions of interesting things like swords, knives, guns, bows, hats, flasks, pipes, etc... Than any sort of authentic antiques (though there are some, certainly). The reproduction business is an old one in the Eastern Mediterranean, where rich Europeans have been taking "Grand Tours" since the mid-19th century. I would be wary to purchase anything that looks like an historical artifact of apparent value without professional scrutiny at almost any sort of dealer that I came across during my recent time spent in Greece and Turkey.

-Gregory
Rhodes is a heavily toured place, one of most busy islands in the world. Don't expect to find any real antiques, and most of the sellers do speak english. Full of 'tourist traps'. That said, it is on my visit list for the near future, the old city is a must for any history lover, as it was the center of the Order of St. John, and is a living medieval city. I sggest to do an in-depth web search.
A good rule to remember always - Tourist areas, only EVER pay tourist prices.. NEVER believe the stories that come with an item. Sure, there *are* some genuine sleepers around, but it's like winning the lottery
There is THE Palace Armoury in Valleta. But you knew that. ;)
But that's Malta.... not Rhodes.

Been there many times, on and off the beaten track. Nothing I've ever seen of any age but plenty of tourist stuff and dogy repros. I Once was shown a 'very old bellows my grandfather used as a child' but then saw probably same gent slapping on antiquing solution onto everything they sold in the back and throwing dust on it!

Down by the Mole there was a fabulous icon painter whose workshop was straight out the middle ages. he spoke no English and I no Greek but I was able to identify his pigments and techniques, very hour with a talented chap. The various hotels of the nations are still there although now used for different purposes. The English Knights block was a knitware shop.....

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: