Rondel scabbards...
What do we know about these? I have a cheaper one coming in the mail and will want to re-do the scabbard. I intend on keeping the current chape + finial, but will rebuild the rest. Were they wood cored, or just leather? How thick is the leather if it is without a wood core? From the myArmoury article:

There are no surviving examples of 14th century rondel dagger scabbards but there are many effigies and monumental brasses which show such objects. These suggest that the scabbards were most likely made entirely of leather with metal chapes at the tip and metal lockets at the throat of the scabbard, which reached to the guard but rarely encased the lower rondel. Usually the body of the scabbard and the metal lockets and chapes were decorated with some tooled design or engraving.

I'll probably just go with plain decoration then....
Gee did I throw out a stumper or what? lol
There's a 14th century example from London. I'll see if I can dig out the information tomorrow.
I see no reason to believe all roundel daggers used the exact same style or construction of scabbard in all times and places.
A post from James Barker on Armour Archive might be of interest.
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewto...p;t=172503
Tim Jones wrote:
There's a 14th century example from London. I'll see if I can dig out the information tomorrow.

http://collections.museumoflondon.org.uk/Onli...amp;rows=1

Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for.
That's exactly the one I was talking about. Nice reconstruction by the way.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: