Jian Fusion...
It has been a while since I've posted. Mostly because I've had my head down in the trenches mounting this blade as well as quite a bit of travel, my hammer-in and workshops. This blade started out as an octagonal profiled narrow rapier-style spatha based on Illerup Adal finds and is a two bar, low layer twisted core and fish-mouth welded piled 1095 laminate edge. My original ideas for the spatha did not work out aesthetically and I felt I had no choice but to abandon the idea. I then offered the bare blade to my customers as an opportunity. The result was this jian. I saw the potential for the jian and sort of pushed for that option.

This jian is a contemporary fusion of elements deriving from some of the famous Warring States bronze swords and the later period iron swords of the Qin dynasty. The guard and pommel are rough sand cast bronze (an alloy that I came up with using copper, tin and lead) that was engraved following casting. The wood is Lake Superior black oak and ebony. Decorative elements are from Warring States swords.

The blade is 24" and total weight is 1 pound 3 oz with a POB 3" from the guard. It is light and fast.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

I'm very excited about this sword and am very much looking forward to exploring more themes within Chinese swords.
Beautifully and nicely accomplished, SR. I quite like the dark-ashy finish of the grip and scabbard,
they seem to compliment the pattern of the blade ...

Functionally, I think I get the type of pommel of said swords, but can't help but think ... of lamp parts
for some reason. B-)
Really, really pretty piece of work.
Thanks for the comments folks. I really enjoyed making this.

And yes... the discoid pommel is not for everybody. Even though it is found on iron Qin jian.. it's use in this context was more of a nod to the earlier Warring States bronze jian..as were the ebony spacers in the grip.
Lovely work scott, well done.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
but can't help but think ... of lamp parts
for some reason. B-)

Well, electric lamp designers had to get their inspirations from SOMEWHERE, didn't they? And the disc pommel did come first, so... :)
Very very attractive piece, from the exquisite pattern welded blade to the bronze furniture to the simple but elegant handle.

Really in the upper tier in quality custom work and a real work of art.
Hi Scott
The sword blade and fittings look amazing and I am glad that you made the jian instead of the spartha the blade
looks right for the Chinese style sword congratulations on an great job and an job well done
Sorry the lack of response to the comments on this sword. I've been traveling quite a bit.

Thank for the comments!

As to lamps.. well... I can't speak for the ancient Chinese in this matter. It never occurred to me.. but I suppose we all can find patterns in the clouds. :-) (I do see a superficial resemblance)
Jian Fusion...
[ Linked Image ]
Nice blade. But I've never seen a jian with a pattern-welded blade before. This is the first time. ;)
Re: Jian Fusion...
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Nice blade. But I've never seen a jian with a pattern-welded blade before. This is the first time. ;)

Common enough. Standard traditional construction for jian is sanmei, and the cladding (i.e., the sides) are often pattern-welded. Some examples can be seen at:
http://sevenstarstrading.com/site/2010/10/the.../#more-181
http://www.reddit.com/r/SWORDS/comments/2934l...h_quality/
http://www.arscives.com/historysteel/cn.steelswords.htm
Thank you Timo... yes I was pleasantly surprised when I saw twisted composite patterns in Chinese blades. There is a name for the pattern.. trying to recall what it is!

(from your links.. 'flowery pattern')
amazing work !!!!!!!! congratulations :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: