Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Got my Sovereign/ First impressions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Got my Sovereign/ First impressions         Reply with quote

My first impression when unwrapping the sword from the bubble pact was how can this sword be this light!
(And not in a bad way). In the hand it is feather light and lightning fast, the point is needle sharp.

The blade has a very flat and VERY broad lenticular section with both profile and distal tapering, the blade is very flexible without being whippy. I would guess that it would be very effective at medium range and at extreme close range as I believe that a dismembering cut could be easily done with with the first 5" or 6" of blade near the guard as well with a more conventionnal mid blade cut, tip cuts although not as powerfull in a chopping mode should be lethal because of speed of tip. A precision trust using the last 4" to 5" should also be fast and deadly, a full trust to the hilt would produce an extremely wide wound channel. Draw cuts would also be very effective.

The only thing I can see it having trouble with would be dealing with an armoured opponent as I am not sure that the blade is rigid enough to defeat maille without damage: This sword is the exact opposite of a sharpened crowbar! In comparison my Gaddhjalt would be slower in the cut but would, because of greater blade presence, would cause much more damage against maille even if only blunt impact, against plate armour neither would be optimum: No sword is, I think, except maybe a type XVII when shortsworded. Against plate I want my A&A winged 12th century spear, my 5 foot long handled Danish axe or best of all my (Ordered A&A Pole Axe). Well maybe a heavily charged .85 cal musket!

In conclusion, for combat at close quarters against unarmoured or lightly armoured opponents the Sovereign would be "Perfect". (Also very good as a selfdefence weapon when in civilian dress.)

Since my practical experience trainning with swords is "Nill" the above is just an opinion based on what I hope is logical analysis of the form and balance of the sword: I welcome any more experienced forum members to support or contradict my conclusions.

Bottom line: This was love at first "Heft"........LOL

Oh, yes let's not forget the flawless execution and subtle details of blade and furniture: Bronze pommel has a much richer colour than if it was made of brass. Also great looking and fitting campaign scabbard and baldric.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my Sovereign/ First impressions         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The only thing I can see it having trouble with would be dealing with an armoured opponent as I am not sure that the blade is rigid enough to defeat maille without damage: This sword is the exact opposite of a sharpened crowbar! In comparison my Gaddhjalt would be slower in the cut but would, because of greater blade presence, would cause much more damage against maille even if only blunt impact, against plate armour neither would be optimum: No sword is, I think

Jean,
Glad you like it. I love mine. Happy Have I mentioned I have one? Razz

Do you mean it lacks rigidity in the cut or in the thrust?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

congradulations Big Grin

It's certainly a favorite of mine. I also appreciate the bronze pommel as it adds something different. I went the extra step by inserting some silver Edward I coins into the pommel. It helps balance things out a bit aesthetically.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
congradulations Big Grin

It's certainly a favorite of mine. I also appreciate the bronze pommel as it adds something different. I went the extra step by inserting some silver Edward I coins into the pommel. It helps balance things out a bit aesthetically.

I love the look of that coin. I actually have an original of that coin. If you hadn't done it already, I might've mounted it up on mine. Now it won't be an original idea. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad;

I mean thrust, plus with the distal taper it does look a little too thin and flexible to penetrate maille without being damaged: Technique and velocity of thrust might prove me wrong, but it does seem more suited to defeating unarmoured opponents.

In the cut the width of the blade guaranties extreme rigidity at least in that plane.

But yes, I love it a lot, and it is making me appreciate the differences of my Gaddhjalt.

I guess, if I was able to handle each of Albions swords (And any others that respect historical/ real sword handling qualities) I would learn something new with each one I picked up.

Handling two different Albion swords has multiplied my appreciation of the qualities of each one. (Not that I can explain it in words easily, but just picking up my second one a part of my brain whent OUUUUUUUUUUUU....... I LIKE!

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I mean thrust, plus with the distal taper it does look a little too thin and flexible to penetrate maille without being damaged: Technique and velocity of thrust might prove me wrong, but it does seem more suited to defeating unarmoured opponents.

In the cut the width of the blade guaranties extreme rigidity at least in that plane.

Ah I see. I see this type (XIV) as a compromise weapon. It's still primarily a cutter, but with enhanced thrusting ability. As such, there are better thrusters. I think that's why Types XV-XVIII evolved, and why the XIV saw a comparatively limited lifespan. I wouldn't hesitate to take the Sovereign into heavy combat, but I wouldn't expect it to be as competent a thruster as the later types. It's not a flaw in the Sovereign so much, but more an inherent limitation in the whole type. My Sovereign is pretty rigid until the fullers end, then it gets more flexible.

Happy

ChadA

Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:
congradulations Big Grin

I love the look of that coin. I actually have an original of that coin. If you hadn't done it already, I might've mounted it up on mine. Now it won't be an original idea. Happy

Awe, go ahead and mount it. It's not like were hanging out together Big Grin

I could'nt afford the originals so I opted for silver repro's. Anyway, they look pretty cool in there.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad;

I basically agree, the Sovereign thrusting ability is much better than earlier more spatulate type points, as armour evolved swords had to change to keep up and the balance of nescessary design compromises tilted in favor of more thrusting ability.

Ideally one should be able to choose the right sword for each different situation: A bit like having a selection of swords available! " Squire could you hand me a slashing sword please, the ennemi seems to be lightly armoured now......LOL."

This not being very practical except maybe for a "Prince" with many swords and squires, thus the search for the ideal sword that could do it all!

Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Jean! The Sovereign is the top sword on my "want" list, so I am envying you and all the others who have been able to get one by now. I don't believe anyone has yet shown one with scabbard... any chance of pics? Would love to see 'em!
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Chad;

I basically agree, the Sovereign thrusting ability is much better than earlier more spatulate type points, as armour evolved swords had to change to keep up and the balance of nescessary design compromises tilted in favor of more thrusting ability.

Ideally one should be able to choose the right sword for each different situation: A bit like having a selection of swords available! " Squire could you hand me a slashing sword please, the ennemi seems to be lightly armoured now......LOL."

This not being very practical except maybe for a "Prince" with many swords and squires, thus the search for the ideal sword that could do it all!

Heh... it's a lovely idea, though. Picture a knight in full harness, followed by a caddy/page with a big golfbag-like thing.

"Hmm. It seems what we need here is a bit of crowd control - XIIIa, I should think. James..."
"Very well, sire."

"James! It is getting rather bloody cramped in here! Toss me the XIV, please, and the buckler, there's a good chap!"
"Certainly, sire."

Big Grin

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Great post Mikko!

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Great post Mikko!

ks

Thank you! One does one's best. Cool

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Chad on this sword.

The Sovereign is a fine sword and one of my faves in the current Next Gen. line-up. I really wanted to do some cutting with one last month up in Wisconsin, too bad Bacus was still pounding on the inside of my skull with a hammer Eek!

IMHO there are types that will both cut and thrust more effeciently. On the other hand the Sovereign is an interesting evolutionary design as well as a very striking sword visually. I want one.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
... thus the search for the ideal sword that could do it all!

The trouble with a sword that can "do it all" is that it won't be the best at anything, kind of like the athlete who wins the decathlon by placing second in all ten events. Still, if you're going into an unknown situation that might be exactly the kind of sword you would want to take with you.

I also have a Sovereign -- great sword, good for fighting in those winding castle staircases.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen;

Sorry, don't have a digital camera at the moment, the scabbard I have is the campaign scabbard with the addition of a baldric: Couldn't afford to go with the custom scabbard, but the campaign one is very well made, if not as ornate.

Mikka: You read my mind about the "Cady/Squire" idea, but phrased it very well. (And made it very funny.......LOL.)

Roger: I agree a sword that can do it all will not be as good doing a specific job as a specialized one: Although the Sovereign seem about perfect for everything except dealing with armour.

Patric: By the way it is "Paper Cutting Sharp" ( I know!.......LOL Sword sharp is enough as discussed in a previous thread.)

Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

UPS just delivered my new Sovereign. This sword is better even than it looks in photos, better than the descriptions previously posted. It fits the hand better than my Prince does, and is wickedly sharp along its entire length. A detail that is not shown in photos is the ends of the cross, which extend the eight planes of the sides into small cross patee forms. I am highly tempted to order a scabbard by Kevin Iseli.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I am highly tempted to order a scabbard by Kevin Iseli.

I highly recommend doing exactly that. Kevin is turning out some really great work. During my last trip to Albion it was Kevin's work that fascinated me the most. He's making some of the best, possibly *the* best, scabbards on the North American continent. I currently have two pending orders with Albion, and they're both scabbards. Lately instead of trying to finance new sword purchases I've been thinking of ways to afford scabbards for all of my Albions.

The down side is that Kevin's back log is pretty long. The upside of that is you'll have plenty of time to pay for it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Sigman tells me that Kevin Iseli has over a hundred scabbards on his work list right now, and that estimated delivery on new orders will be sometime in 2006. Since it is pretty obvious that the list will not be getting any shorter anytime soon, I am placing an order now rather than later.
Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Mike Sigman tells me that Kevin Iseli has over a hundred scabbards on his work list right now, and that estimated delivery on new orders will be sometime in 2006. Since it is pretty obvious that the list will not be getting any shorter anytime soon, I am placing an order now rather than later.

Sad Sad Sad

man oh man, by the time I save enough for one of his scabbards, the wait's gonna be several years.... OR he'll be retiring from doing them.

Blush sigh

scott
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott H. wrote:
Steve Fabert wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

man oh man, by the time I save enough for one of his scabbards, the wait's gonna be several years.... OR he'll be retiring from doing them.

Blush sigh

scott

Now might be a good time to look into a scabbard from Art Elwell. I've written a few correspondances with him. He's definitely a real gentleman and a great guy to do business with. He's also very prompt with his replies, too...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Got my Sovereign/ First impressions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic