russian-caucasian kindjial dagger
i'm going to commission a russian caucasian kindjial for my russian civil war cossack kit,

i would like to know if someone can help me with some measurements, judging from the original photos there was not a pattern, and the the blades were of various lenght.

my windlass ww1 bebout is about 60 cm long (total lenght) , but the cossack kindjial looks a bit smaller.

i will appreciate information about lenght and width of the blades, thank for your help
Russian-Caucasian kinjal dagger
Recommend you a kinjal, Gabriele? I am not good in this.
Circa 1900 russian kindjals usualy are 40-50cm overall, but as you said, there is no pattern.
looking at period pictures a total lenght of 50 cm looks quite reasonable, i have also made a cardboard model and a weapon with this proportions look quite good!
I picked up this Caucasian Kindjal earlier this year. Not sure of the age, but here are some measurements. Let me know if you'd like anything else.

OAL - 50cm
Blade - 37.3cm
Blade width - 34mm at handle, 22mm at fuller termination
Blade thickness - 4.6mm at handle, 3.1mm at fuller termination
Center of Mass - 65mm from handle (between maker's mark and fuller start)
Weight - 256g

[ Linked Image ]
very useful! thank you Shawn , this confirm definetively my thoughts about the proportions,

my cardboard models has practically the same dimensions as your dagger, that is indeed beautiful

look forward to see my project completed :)
http://www.oriental-arms.com/search.php?q=kin...amp;s.y=12
thanks for the link Sa'ar, very good source not only for measurements but also for looking at the various blade options,

do you think that kindjal are even vaguely related to the roman gladius?
Gabriele Becattini wrote:
thanks for the link Sa'ar, very good source not only for measurements but also for looking at the various blade options,

do you think that kindjal are even vaguely related to the roman gladius?

Oriental-Arms is a very good data-base for many kinds of weapons, mostly from the east & islamic world.

Regarding the kindjal being the offspring of the Roman gladius, it is a common belief, but we must take in consideration there is a time span of appr. 1000 years, probably even more, from the last gladius to the oldest known kindjal.
I have a period piece that is curved as well

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: