Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Peterson Type M Axe Recreation (1 of 2) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahhh, that makes sense. Eric makes a heck of an axe! Really good aquisition Patrick! You've gotten a few nice ones lately....
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
That is very, very nice. I'm curious about the cutting edge. It's thicker than the rest of the axe. Is that because it is a different metal welded onto the rest of the piece, or is it reinforced for strength, or just cosmetic?

I would add that once the thickest part of the edge has chopped into the target the thinner part behind would not slow the cut down due to friction on the sides of the axe blade, at least that is my theory. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gabriele Becattini

(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick- i'm very curious to know your impression about the long handle axe as a weapon. could you describe the feeling in wielding it? have you done some cutting test?

Eric- would it be possible to know the average price for one of your axe?
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriele Becattini wrote:
Patrick- i'm very curious to know your impression about the long handle axe as a weapon. could you describe the feeling in wielding it? have you done some cutting test?

The first axe Eric made for me, shown here.....................

..............is a monster of a polearm. It was modeled after one of the largest existing originals Eric has documented. I'm a large, well muscled man and it takes a bit of effort for me to move that one around. I see it as something well suited for use in a shield wall, where a man would have the support of other troops able to lend cover. I think it would be devastating in that context, but somewhat unsuited for stand alone combat given it's mass.

The newer one Eric made is another animal entirely. It's very light and dynamic. I can put it through many of the movements designed for the bo staff, that I'm familiar with from my years studying the asian martial arts. It's handy enough that a considerable amount of velocity, and therefore power, can be generated on the blade end with minimal effort on the back end by the user. It also readily responds to many of the hooking and slicing techniques found in later period treatises concerning the halberd, partisan, etc. I haven't cut anything with it, although Eric did cut down a small dead tree with it and advised the results were impressive. I see the older axe as something akin to heavy artillery and an outlier in the design, whereas this newest one might represent more of the standard for the time. Eric did an excellent job with the head, producing a design that's light but with a good strong edge. The haft was also shaped with attention to detail. It's rounded rectangular shape lends control to your movements by preventing rotation in the hand. The gradual increase it it's diameter towards the butt end helps to prevent the weapon from slipping out of your grasp during use. The result is a very dynamic polearm that one could use for an extended period of time without undue fatigue. All in all a very nice design.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gabriele Becattini

(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

very interesting Patrick,

i have always thought the long axe a sluggish weapon, lacking proper handling dynamics...

I'm amazed to know that a carefully designed axe could posses such a good handling.

could i know how tall are you? in order to judge the proportion of the haft
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriele Becattini wrote:
very interesting Patrick,

i have always thought the long axe a sluggish weapon, lacking proper handling dynamics...

I'm amazed to know that a carefully designed axe could posses such a good handling.

could i know how tall are you? in order to judge the proportion of the haft

I'm six feet tall. The larger axe is five feet tall and the newer one is four feet ten inches.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Carl W.

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Before the final stages of assembly I had assumed this was going to be a smaller axe, something just slightly larger than a single-handed axe. ... I had suggested a shorter haft with the small proportion in my mind, but Eric was pretty adamant about this longer length. I have to say, once I had it in hand I immediately realized he was right. I wouldn't change it.

I had guessed same (smaller) from the early thread pics & was why I asked about size. 4'10" is still big but glad to hear its different - faster - than your other Eric-axe. It looks & sounds outstanding to me. Congratulations to you both!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Peterson Type M Axe Recreation (1 of 2)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: