Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sword of the Herculaneum soldier Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Martin Moser

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome work, Jeffrey, wonderfully done! I had the honor to contribute to the project as well, making the caligae the soldier might have worn.
Cheers,
Martin

https://www.facebook.com/leatherworkthroughtheages/
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Roman "soldier"         Reply with quote

Firstly, I admit to knowing next to nothing about the arms and armor of this era, but I do know a little about the social structure. Don't jump to the conclusion that this individual was a soldier. He may have been a private guard or part of a patrician household guard. An ex-legionnaire? Perhaps. The wealthy of this period very often were accompanied by guards and the location on the beach certainly might indicate that he was fleeing with his master. As a freeman, he could have had a side business of woodworking and when the lid popped on Vesuvius, he grabbed the most important thing around, his means of livelihood.

Sure, I know this is conjecture but just trying to make a case for something other than a soldier.

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Martin Moser

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good point & I agree that there is no definite proof of that man having been a soldier, but the likelihood is certainly high. What was found on him agrees with other contemporary finds from military sites, surviving statues, reliefs etc. as well as ancient written sources.
Cheers,
Martin

https://www.facebook.com/leatherworkthroughtheages/
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, my, that is a fantastic piece of work Jeffrey.

Having spent a few weeks in Pompeii and Rome - and having family in the museum business - the exhibit at the ROM was a bit disappointing. It seemed rather poorly organized and poorly arranged.

No reflection on your sword, though Jeffrey.

Attachment: 82.05 KB
12250169_1070619306315455_1037595607942622654_n.jpg

Joe A

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
Oh, my, that is a fantastic piece of work Jeffrey.

Having spent a few weeks in Pompeii and Rome - and having family in the museum business - the exhibit at the ROM was a bit disappointing. It seemed rather poorly organized and poorly arranged.

No reflection on your sword, though Jeffrey.

I volunteer at a museum, the Penn Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, and know the staff responsible for these types of short term exhibits obsess over providing as good an experience to the visitor as possible within the limited space provided. I'm curious what the main issue was? I've been to plenty of short term exhibits and sometimes they do seem awful.
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey this is spectacular work...
http://www.bigrockforge.com
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Roman "soldier"         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
Firstly, I admit to knowing next to nothing about the arms and armor of this era, but I do know a little about the social structure. Don't jump to the conclusion that this individual was a soldier. He may have been a private guard or part of a patrician household guard. An ex-legionnaire? Perhaps. The wealthy of this period very often were accompanied by guards and the location on the beach certainly might indicate that he was fleeing with his master. As a freeman, he could have had a side business of woodworking and when the lid popped on Vesuvius, he grabbed the most important thing around, his means of livelihood.

For what it's worth, there was a piece on History Channel that speculated he was a retired soldier who got caught keeping order and helping people onto boats...based on the quality of his sword, the money he was carrying, clothes, and location.
Eduardo Fontenla
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazing
Excellent
inspirational
Your make teaching with your sword
Thanks

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sword of the Herculaneum soldier
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic