Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking to begin collecting, could do with some help. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Connor Savage

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Looking to begin collecting, could do with some help.         Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new around here and I've been looking into getting into sword collecting. I'm looking for a functional sword as well, preferably a Longsword, nothing fancy. Since I am breaking into the collecting market, I'm on a limited budget (£400/$625) which I realise can constrain the choices available. Because I am new and really don't know what direction to go, I am asking hear for suggested products to begin my collection and stores to purchase them from.

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Connor.
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can get some great swords at reduced prices here on the marketplace forum. I love my Albion Baron and I do not think you can go wrong with it. Stick to more popular swords until you find your niche as selling them are easier and you can get the value back. Albion and Arms and Armor in that order is a good start.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Albions and Arms and Armor swords cost more than you are willing to spend. I say make a start with Valiant Armory - http://customswordshoppe.com/ - they are still very good swords. The blades are forged in China, then sent to sSnny Suttles in Texas, where he puts them together. You also get a good scabbard. One of those would make a great first sword.

Ideally you should find something made in the UK. Maybe a British forumite could tell you about something local in your price range. ( You might look into http://www.danelliarmouries.com/ )

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Sat 13 Jun, 2015 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I started, with the variety of choices out there and no real idea where to begin, I needed to first decide where my interests lay - a particular style, a timeframe, a culture? For me, I looked to my roots (I'm of primarily Germanic descent), and the timeframe that most caught my eye at that point (late XVth century) and started there. I built the better part of a late XVth century Germanic man-at-arms kit. I've since branched out in time, building most of a mid-XIVth kit, but maintained the Germanic influence. I now have thirteen swords in my collection, ten of which are functional sharps that fit within my culture of influence and spanning about a 150 year period from the mid-XIVth to early XVIth. There have been others that represented, or not, that have moved through. There are also daggers, pole arms, bye-knives and related paraphernalia that cover the same period and culture and help to build out the various impressions. There have also been items of fantasy, of only moderate historic accuracy, and of questionable quality. Some have moved on, some have remained, but I learned something from each item. My next foray will be much further back, to the Migration Era, but keeping to the Germanic cultural influence - in this case, Frankish.

In picking your first, look at yourself and at what interests you, then pick whatever best fits that. As counseled in Brandt's post, this board is a great place to do some study, and to maybe find your first sword at less than full retail (I've purchased seven swords and sold three here myself; also picked up a dagger or four...). Think about the culture and timeframe that appeals to you, preference for single-hander, hand-half, two-hander, and post those answers back. Members of this board will be happy to make recommendations based on that information. For example, if you come back with "Germanic, late XIVth century, hand-half", you might get a reply back of "Albion Landgraf or Sempach", likely with an explanation of why one of those fits your stated preferences.

For your price range, you are unlikely to pick up even a second-hand Albion or Arms & Armor (considered by most in the forum as the best of the production offerings in terms of quality, consistency and historic accuracy), but might want to save for a bit longer if one of their offerings really hits the sweet spot for you. Otherwise, look in your price range at Kult of Athena - they sell most of the best brands (and some of the lesser), have great customer service and cover the full price and quality range. If something there catches your eye, look back here to see if someone has reviewed it, and solicit feedback if no one has.

Good luck in finding your first sword, and condolences on the fever that will overtake you once you have it in hand! Wink
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
The Albions and Arms and Armor swords cost more than you are willing to spend. I say make a start with Valiant Armory - http://customswordshoppe.com/ - they are still very good swords. The blades are forged in China, then sent to sSnny Suttles in Texas, where he puts them together. You also get a good scabbard. One of those would make a great first sword.

Ideally you should find something made in the UK. Maybe a British forumite could tell you about something local in your price range. ( You might look into http://www.danelliarmouries.com/ )

Seconded.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my opinion, the quality of reproduction swords is sort of bimodal, with a peak of crappy swords at the low end of the spectrum ($100-$200) and a peak of some nice swords at the moderate price range ($800-$1,200).

There isn't a whole lot available in between, save for some blunts and poorly-made swords with the wrong taper

In your price range I would either (a) hold off and save more money to get a decent sword or (b) watch the classified advertisements and hope you can jump on a good deal.

Last edited by Harry Marinakis on Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Connor Savage

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the rapid responses. I am factoring all your advise into my final decision. I didn't expect such a comprehensive level of responses and for that I am extremely thankful.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since you're in the UK consider Danelli Armoury. He has several longsword blunts on his site in your range and has a good reputation so far as I know. He will customize or do semisharp as far as British law allows. I don't own one of his swords but talked to him and found him to be polite, professional, and efficient. Only downside is that he has a waiting list. -JD
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the budget you mention, you can have almost anything you want made to a level as good as any mentioned already,
Mark Vickers,
http://www.stgeorgearmoury.co.uk/index.html

/ranging from cheaper on up to your mentioned budget, choose what you like, detail dependant you can bring in a fantastic piece at £400
phone is quicker, Wink
Marks website is seldom updated, his back catalogue is huge, with some excellent works, but still he hasn't put them online as yet, mores the shame, excellent guy, little slow on the computer, but he's busy, so hey ho,

Marco as mentioned, Danelli armoury, good guy,
his swords look nice, his rapiers, very nice,

I have to disagree with Harry saying you wont get something decent for sub £400
I've seen many decent swords from Mark to rival the top lines from the big American names at 250-350,
Harry, I don't mean anything by that personally etc, Wink
I just whole heartedly disagree, and I think anyone who's bought a custom sharp from Mark below the £400 mark would agree, Wink

Add into the mix, Armour Class,
some of their custom bits are much nicer than the site pics,
if you add a little to the budget, look at Castlekeep, very nice swords, but more expensive,
but for your original Q,
Mark all day long, Cool

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking to begin collecting, could do with some help.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic