Skivving thin leather
I want to skive some thin leather, I think it is 2oz and it is only 0.6 to 0.8mm thick. It is to be applied over a leather cord wrap to a handle. So far my own attempts have been less than successful and most tutorials I have seen cater for thicker leather. Does anyone have any basic advice for me or a good source for information. I want to acheive an invisible seam when finished.
My next would be my first but I would wrap with an overlap then double cut through the overlap (like cutting wallpaper) at a very shallow angle. That will skive both edges uniformly.

No?

Yes?

I dunno :)

Cheers

GC
Two important points related to skiving thin leather;

Use a razor sharp skiving tool of whatever shape you prefer. The finest edge possible on good steel should easily shave hairs from your forearm without scratching your skin. If its hard going, your blade isn't sharp enough.

Use a very firm, smooth work plate under the leather. A slab of polished marble or thick glass is readily available. Hardwood cutting boards are not always up to the task.

In addition, slightly moistening with water or conditioning with oils can make or break the quality of skive in thin leathers.
Two words: BELT SANDER

Generally I quit using skivers and tend to use a belt sander to get the edges that I want. I am a happy camper.
I use this style of razor blade... put the leather on a table, and draw the blade towards you. Its pretty easy, and they don't get congested like a 'skive' knife will.

Cheers!

Attachment: 9.45 KB
single-edged razor blade.jpg

If the leather is that thin, do you even need to skive it?
To make the edge less promiment just apply pressure and a little moisture and it will most likely blend in just fine.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: