Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > La Tene Blades with a Curve Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: La Tene Blades with a Curve         Reply with quote

Hi all...

JM Navarro published pictures of a couple of LaTene blades that were curved in his report on the finds at LaTene...
These curved LaTene swords look almost like a hybrid between the LaTene blade and the Falcata.
I thought they were probably interesting anomalies or either were bent during their stay underground.
(For instance with such a close fitting scabbard on a curved blade how would they ever extract the sword,
unless it opened up at a seam). However I have recently discovered what may be another curved LaTene blade
found in England (published on the Museum of London website). So I thought I would post the pictures
and see what you thought of them. If they were made with curved blades they are really quite graceful IMO.
And they certainly resonate with the Celt's love of curves.

ks

Attachment: 41.84 KB
aLTStraightCurvedFalcata.jpg
Straight LaTene Blade Top
Curved Falcata Bottom
Curved LaTene in the middle

Attachment: 75.31 KB
aLTCurvedBladeColl.jpg
Top 2 Front and Back Continental find 75cm TL
Third from Top from Austria 80cm TL
Bottom from Thames at Hammersmith 35cm TL

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sure hope that shape is intentional, 'cause I like it. I do not see any reason why a sword would change shape noticeably while buried. I think that it is more likely that, if that is not its original shape, that it was damaged/reshaped somehow during its working life. I agree that a scabbard for such swords could be awkward, but I think it could be done, especially since that sword has relatively shallow curves to it.

I have seen a few line drawings of swords with this general shape (there are several in Peter Conolly's Greece and Rome at War, in the section on pre-Roman italians), but I hadn't seen much archeological evidence up to this point. Thanks for the picture.

Any idea on the dimentions? It looks rather short.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

...I agree that a scabbard for such swords could be awkward, but I think it could be done, especially since that sword has relatively shallow curves to it.

...Any idea on the dimentions? It looks rather short.

-Grey

Hi Grey...

The first two images in the second set are the opposite sides of the same sword. And other than the tang and bell shaped guard you are looking at the scabbard. To me that seems like a really tight fit if the blade is the same shape as the scabbard. I am not sure if you could get it out. It may be that the blade inside the scabbard is of a different shape so that it could be extracted. On the other hand, you may be right, with such shallow curves maybe it would just slide right out. Would love to see (or make) a replica of this sword...

The only dimensions I have are posted below the picture.

The continental finds are 75 and 80 centimeters total length.

The British find is only 35 centimeters... more like a knife (typically short for British finds)

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk,

I feel kind of silly, I completely missed the measurements in the caption. Thanks for pointing that out.

Now that you comment on it, I can see that the sword is still in its scabbard. You are right that is a tight fit, but I still think the curve is shallow enough to draw the blade. There might be a slight downward rotation or angling of the hand as you draw the blade, but it should come out. Kukri scabbards are a bit bulkier, but the curve is also more exagerated, and I think this one would work in a similar manner. If it comes to it, a saber has a more noticeable curve, and while the uniformity that curve helps, it would not be too inconceivable to think that a saber could not be drawn (which I did think at one point in my youth), unless you knew better.

I admit, this is a rather weak argument, and I cannot claim to be anywhere near as knowledgeable on it as I would like to be.

-Grey

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it wasn't corroded in there I bet it would slide right out. All it would take is a slightly wider throat to allow you to draw at a slight angle. You have the sword made and I'll do a scabbard to show you what I mean. Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats different! Reminds me of a Yataghan blade. I dont think that scabbard would be too tight. The curve is very gentle and should slide in and out without difficulty. Very cool! Must be a local variant that had a short span of appeal, or just to expensive to make. Didnt some dutch knives have a similar shape? I recall some bronze pieces that had a gentle curve like these, but much smaller in scale.
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm wondering of these aren't "sacrificed" blades? Peter?...
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:

If they were sacraficed wouldn't they be bent even more? It appears that they would still be usable.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At first I thought they may be sacrificially bent or altered someway by burial pressures or differential corrosion (not very likely). But the curves are so beautiful and Celt-like.

Here are a few pictures of "sacrificed" LaTene swords I have on file.

ks

Attachment: 87.47 KB
aSacrificiallyBentCeltic.jpg

Attachment: 44 KB
LaTeneBent.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:

I believe Mr. Stark is right. The blade need not be bent double to be a sacrificed weapon. I think that if you looked at these blades edge-on, you would see several undulations or waves.

There were many forms of destruction of weapons. These did not always take the form of being bent double. Also the destruction was not kept to just swords---spears and shield umbos as well as swords and scabbards. The blades could be bent, twisted, deliberately notched, crushed with blunt force, holes punched in them. The sword and scabbard could be "killed" as a unit, or each separately. Weapons in the same level of strata exhibit different methods of destruction.

Brunneax and Rapin have a fairly lengthy section detailing sacrifce and the proposed tools which caused the damage, this in Gournay II. Kraemer also depicts several "looks" to sacrificed weapons in the documentation of the Manching oppidium.

Regardless of whether the Navarro blades are sacrificed or not, they are not curved, but bent. In fact, this is directly stated in the caption to the plate in Navarro, it states the length, and then states that the sword is bent.
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Bell wrote:
[
...Regardless of whether the Navarro blades are sacrificed or not, they are not curved, but bent. In fact, this is directly stated in the caption to the plate in Navarro, it states the length, and then states that the sword is bent...

Hi Nate...

As usual, you're right!

Boy do I feel stupid Eek! Eek! Eek!

The end of the caption reads:

"Ia, bent, scale unknown, length of original 80 cm, 1b - 1c ?approx 1:5; 2a - 2b, bent, length of original 75 cm)"

So... In the words of Rose Anna Roseannadana,

"Nevermind!"

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Kirk,

Yeah, it is a cool shape, just not one seen in celtic sword-length, I think. Not too far off some of the knives though.

And I also get the impression that these existed somewhere in antiquity as well after flipping back through my own Connolly (thanks Greyson). Maybe a variant of the sica?

What the shape and curve most reminds me of, though, is those fantasy type gigantic yataghan-ish sword-knives used in The Mummy II---now what does that tell you about my taste in movies though Worried

Were there any yataghan-type swords with a similar shape curve but large, beefy and double edged for much of their length?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

Well I bought the Mummy sword "Kopesh" Scorpion King, nice display piece and frustrating that it would be a good sword if the steel blade was better quality and the "SUPER HEAVY" solid brass didn't make boat anchors seem light.

It is a great excercise tool: After a few minute of swinging it in the air my Gaddhjalt feels light as a feather ....... LOL.

A functionnal Kopesh should be the ultimate cleaver ! (Albion ....... HINT, HINT ..... Ancien sword line maybe in steel and / or Bronze.)

Greyson:
I too wish that this shape, the curved La Tene, is what the sword was intented to be, rather than an illusion caused by it being sacrificed : It looks very good in the picture.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Greyson:
I too wish that this shape, the curved La Tene, is what the sword was intented to be, rather than an illusion caused by it being sacrificed : It looks very good in the picture.

Oh well. I would have liked it to be intentional, but I guess we don't always get what we want. Still a fascinating find.

-Grey

Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Bell wrote:
Hi Kirk,

...What the shape and curve most reminds me of, though, is those fantasy type gigantic yataghan-ish sword-knives used in The Mummy II---now what does that tell you about my taste in movies though Worried

Were there any yataghan-type swords with a similar shape curve but large, beefy and double edged for much of their length?

Hey Nate...

Good eye on the "Mummy" Magi sword... They also had a shorter version closer to the length of the Celtic swords...

Here is a couple of pictures posted on SFI by Josh Skaarup that shows the shorter version with our cleverly bent LaTene in the middle.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Bell wrote:
Hi Kirk,

Hi Nate...

Found this thread on SFI and thought it may relate to the question above.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46031

Anyway, if you like curved blades, this thread has lotsa eye candy.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > La Tene Blades with a Curve
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic