Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > English Archer Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't handled a lot of Del Tins; I think I've only handled one of their long swords. It felt heavier than my Albions do, and not as well balanced. Even a "heavy" Albion like the Tritonia is clearly well balanced for its mass. The Del Tin I handled seems significantly less so.

As far as I know, the Del Tin company does not do hands-on research of antique medieval swords. Part of what you're paying for in the price differential between an Albion and a Del Tin is Peter Johnsson's R&D. You're paying for a sword that has similar characteristics in blade geometry, pivot points, distal and profile taper (and all the other related elements I have not mentioned) with surviving medieval swords.

So with Albion, you tend to get better handling and a better balance, and a sword that is closer to original medieval swords.
Alec Cawdor

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Didn't think about the paying for research bit, but that makes sense.

Another maker that comes to mind is Paul Macdonald in Scotland.

He makes a fine looking c14th Broadsword from EN45 Spring Steel.

Would this sword design be too early, or would it have carried over into the 15th century?
John Hardy

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alec Cawdor wrote:

He makes a fine looking c14th Broadsword from EN45 Spring Steel.

Would this sword design be too early, or would it have carried over into the 15th century?

Personally, I don't really think "too early a style" is a big problem with something like a sword pattern carried by an archer -- at least within reason. An Agincourt-era archer carrying a Roman gladius or Viking sword pushes the boundaries of believability, but one carrying a sword that was "cutting edge" within the previous century falls well within the range of what might have been been carried due to personal preference, inheritance or even superstition (Grandpa carried this blade to France during the Crecy campaign and took a rich ransom with it...)

You will still find people out there today who would rather trust their lives to a revolver embodying WW1-era or even late-19th century technology in preference to a "plastic" Glock, after all.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword on the webpage (which I see is now sold) looks to me like it's another XVI, so it would almost certainly be pre-1350 AD.

I would be careful about claims of using old swords. On the one hand, we certainly know it happened: X.14 from Records of the Medieval Sword is a type X blade rehilted in the 15th century. On the other hand, period artwork suggests that the styles of weapons used changed relatively quickly in the High Middle Ages and late Medieval period; a particular blade and hilt combination might be common for a long period of time, but in many cases, you can notice changes every generation or so.

For example, here's an image of an archer wearing a sword, circa 1400-1425 AD: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4055/11499/. Although we can't see what kind of sword it is, exactly, other images in the manuscript show swords that look like either from the XV or XVIII family: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4055/11497/.

Another image from a different manuscript with an archer wearing a scabbard suggests a triangular shaped sword, again most likely one from the XV family or XVIII family: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4161/7469/.

So, in my view, while an older style sword isn't impossible, it was probably less likely than one would expect.
James Moore

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alec Cawdor wrote:

On the subject of research and makers in Scotland, one other option for single-edged stuff would be J.G. Emslie, who aside from making great stuff has done a huge amount of academic research and cataloguing on the subject of single-edged swords, messers, and more importantly for this discussion, falchions, for a book on the subject.

As I understand it, that includes the "Wakefield hangar" type single-edged swords that are often associated with archers and are the basis for the Del Tin, Armourclass, Heron Armoury 15th C falchions (and probably a few other makers too - Didnt Windlass or Museum Replicas do a "Wakefield" Sword?).

From what I've read, pretty much the best one to talk to, and he's always been happy to talk about his work.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jun, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do we have any evidence for such single edged swords with knuckle bows during the 1400-1450 period OP is interested in? We discarded the 14th century designs which are a bit oldschool for his period and now we recommend designs of later period than asked??

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > English Archer Sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: