Rock Bridge junior uses medieval-style weapon to defend home
Hammer time...

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/a/188314/rock-bridge-junior-uses-medieval-style-weapon-to-defend-his-home/

Quote:
When Rock Bridge High School junior Devyn Breeden heard trouble Thursday morning, he grabbed his medieval-style hammer and headed toward it.

Around 8:30 a.m., Breeden was getting dressed when he heard someone enter his basement at his home in the 500 block of Pear Tree Circle in south Columbia.

A cautious kid by his own admission, his first reaction was to grab the Renaissance fair-type hammer he keeps in front of his bed and investigate.

As he walked downstairs, he realized there was another person in his home.

“For a moment I just froze because of the shock, disbelief and also anger. Like, how dare he enter this home?” Breeden said. “He saw me first and bolted out the door.”

I bet that guy bolted out the door!

[ Linked Image ]

(Not that I'm recommending anyone use their medieval weapons to confront a burglar in their home, but I thought this story would be of interest to folks here)
Huh.

That would give you pause for thought, if you were the burglar, but I'd want a hammer with a blade atop the hammer head if things came to poking in a hallway or such......
I think a hammer is a good choice - better than a sword and I'd favour it over a knife or dagger because it has a bit more reach and potentially more stopping power. But the main advantage of a hammer is ease of use for damage done. As long as you hit them with some velocity, the hammer head will concentrate quite a lot of force into a small area, breaking bones and causing massive internal injury. Better than a baseball bat for that reason, and more practical than a golf club in confined spaces.

Of course, this kid had the ideal response - the burglar ran away! I think a big scary hammer is more likely to do that than a sword, which might provoke laughter rather than fear given the prevalence of wall-hangers and the difficulty in using a sword well.
A big scary falchion would do, everyone is scared of choppers!

Not indicating that someone should ever use it on anyone else, but a blunt weapon such as a warhammer or mace is less damaging than a sword. It's a lot easier to cut someone and stab than a full forced bludgeoning. The mentality of fighting someone with a sharp blade in hand is already threatening.
Well, I'm not sure if a warhammer or blunt weapon is more or less damaging than a sword. I'm confident that a blow to the head would be fatal in most cases and bludgeoning people can't be that difficult (not speaking from experience, of course). However, upon reflection I agree that a falchion or some similar chopping weapon would be better. I was thinking for my own situation I have at hand only cut and thrust swords optimised for thrusting and I would not be too confident using one of them to defend life and property (one is blunt anyway)- a falchion on the other hand....

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: