Migration ring sword - re-visit
I posted a version of this sword last year but there was the unfortunate issue of extreme shrinkage of the moose antler components during the flight to the customer. I believe this was due to the method I used to flatten the moose antler..which included boiling and then pressing flat. Materials like antler are prone to movement anyway.. and I think this was too drastic of a procedure and perhaps too little time to 'stabilize'. So the sword was returned and I fixed this issue along with a few other details that I suppose I was never really happy with. All in all.. I'm very happy that this happened as I feel the new version of this sword is cleaner, more pleasing to the eye... and more historical in the construction of the ring keeper component.

As a reminder... This was not intended to be a historical reproduction.. but my interpretation.The blade is a 7 bar composite and it has 15n20, 1084, pure nickel and an edge of piled 1095. The hilt is steel, moose antler, Seymchan meteorite and has nickel pins with bronze peen blocks. The iron pommel has a wolf theme on one side and raven on the other by customer request. The ring is also Seymchan meteorite. As a surprise for the customer I inlaid shakudo (gold/copper alloy) into the wolves eyes. The overall length is 34 3/4 inches and the weight is 2 pounds 4 oz. Point of Balance is 5 inches from the cross.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

There were originally two Seymcham meteor spacers in the grip. The new version had one.. and I also had some left-over pattern welded billet from the first attempt at making this blade. So I made a seax to go along with the sword using these materials..as well as the same kind of diver-salvaged black oak.

[ Linked Image ]

Thanks for looking and I welcome all feedback.
Sir:
You have done it again. Fabulous interpretation.
Thanks for the photos.

I'd really like to see, or learn about the condition of the wood when it was salvaged.

Jon
I have been remiss
Scott started the work on this project for me some time ago:

It was a long journey but at the end was this prize, more importantly was a friendship devolved between Scott and I.

The sword itself is master piece, not only ascetically but in handling. I have not cut with it yet. And while I do not plan to do any heavy cutting, heh, well it would be just wrong not to cut with it at least once.

I will say with out a doubt that if one is looking for a custom smith for project Scot is one of the best people to go to.

as I get time I will do a full review
Thank you for the kind words David. Thank you very much for the patience in this project. It was a bit of a roller coaster but I'm glad it went the way it did. Incredible learning experience....
Hi Scott
I will agree with David that sword is just magnificent still watching the posts on the Chinese sword and cant wait to see
it finished I also like it as well thanks for re posting
Scott,
I am hooked. I will be making one of these as soon as I finish my current orders. I have said this before, but that is a really beautiful piece. You handled everything just right, and your professional reputation can only grow from your attention to detail and customer service.

love the 1095. It's happy, it found a good home.

Well done.

kc

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: