Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval Blade Length Laws Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruegel certainly doesn't portray them as beautiful people living the pastoral lifestyle. They look awful and their past time activities are crude and vulgar compared to what the upper echelons of society would be familiar with.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Romanticising peasants doesn't always have to mean making them look beautiful. The elder Brueghel's depictions of peasants tend to make them look hysterically happy, while at the same time somewhat over-emphasising the barbaric and uncouth aspects of their merry-making. And let's not miss the part where he tends to depict peasants from an era about thirty, forty, or even fifty years earlier than the time he made the paintings. If those of us who have been alive for that long look back upon the past, relying largely upon our recollections in the absence of the modern age's wealth of hard documentary evidence, its going to involve a lesser or greater degree of distortion. There's also going to be some mix-ups involved -- things we remember as being popular early in the decade might in fact have been the fashion late in the decade, and in worse cases it's not unlikely that we might mistakenly insert recollections from more recent times (right down to the present) to those earlier eras. There's some evidence of the latter happening in the elder Brueghel's work once they've been checked against surviving material evidence (both preserved and excavated) as well as earlier artists who were more contemporary with the period he depicted. The younger Pieter is even worse.

This subject has been discussed more extensively in art history (though unfortunately art historians may tend to be rather too skeptical about Brueghel) and costume history circles. Many experienced 16th-century costumers I know think that the elder Brueghel is best treated as a secondary source that needs further corroboration from sources and/or artifacts closer to the actual era being depicted when it comes to using his works as documentation for close or exact reproductions of historical clothes. The younger, even more so.

(And let's not even talk about how many paintings and engravings have been misattributed to the elder Brueghel.)

Maybe a great deal of the issue is about the level of detail; nobody disputes that both Brueghels (leaving out the third one, Jan, who largely treated different subject matter) are useful sources for a very broad general picture of life in the 16th century. Things get more dodgy when we're trying to use the Pieters to justify specific interpretations of the era's material culture.

Taking it back to the realm of arms and armour, I think Jean's comparison of Brueghel with Durer proves my point instead of refuting it. That's exactly what we're supposed to do -- comparing Brueghel with other artists closer to his subject era to see whether they corroborate his depictions, rather than just taking him at face value. There are so many other artists whose works have become widely available (Bosch, Aertsen, Beuckelaer, and the like) that this kind of cross-checking and cross-comparison would only cost us a small amount of time and effort relative to the much larger boost in accuracy that we're going to get in return.
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter Aertsen's Egg Dance (and a lot of other of his paintings) show the majority of males armed with among other things, ballock daggers.

It's a shame earlier painters such as Van Eyck didn't leave us with peasant scenes but the Burgundian and Parisian miniatures do have some daily life depictions. A city depiction "De zeven werken van barmhartigheid" - 1504 on the other hand doesn't show many citizens armed. In fact only two who appear to be well off are armed with a dagger and sword respectively and in the first panel a cripple is shown with a dagger.
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think art historians know anything about weapon ownership or weapons period to be honest. They know way more than I do about art needless to say.

I also don't think there is any doubt that peasants were heavily armed - is that really in question? I guess if you need me to I can dig up and post some records. Art is just one form of evidence, the lions share is literary evidence especially records. I think it's useful to post period artwork in threads like this to illustrate a point (and to be entertaining to readers) but it's not really necessary. It all depends how hard core you want to go into a subject, academic articles and period records can be pretty dry.

As for art depicting people in cities, carrying arms ... here's a couple.

Crowd scene, Augsburg 1550

Krakow 1505 (from a book on craft guild regulations)

Merchant (guy on the left... guy on the right is a noble)

Goldsmiths shop

Cutlers shop

Citizenss target practice (shooting popinjay)

here are some period excerpts related to carrying and owning arms in the cities. First, from Pope Pius III:

“…not only every noble, but even every burgher in the Guilds has
an armoury in his house so as to appear equipped at every alarm.
The skill of the citizens in the use of weapons is extraordinary.”

-Enea Silvio Piccolomini, the future Pope Pious II, commenting on the state of military preparedness in Germany in 1444 AD.

Excerpts from the craft guild regulations for the shearers of the Flemish town of Arras in 1236 AD Source: Recueil de documents relatifs à l'histoire de l'industrie drapière en Flandre’, publiés par Georges Espinas et Henri Pirenne. Brussls, 1920.

7. And whichever brother of this fraternity of shearers
does not come to the militia when it is called, shall not
remain in the city, unless it is through the aldermen of
the city, 20 sous should go to the confraternity.

25. And each master should have his arms when
someone summons them. And if he does not have them,
he owes 20 sous.

26. Whichever of the brothers does not go around with
the burgomeister, the first night that the militia
overnights, owes 10 sous.

27. Whichever of the brothers leaves the district by land
and by day, and will not embark, owes 10 sous to the
confraternity.

28. And whichever of the brothers takes the weapons of
the fraternity, if he does not return them on the day that
he took them, he owes 20 sous to the fraternity, unless he
is keeping them with the consent of the burgomeister and
the aldermen.

29. And if any brother begins to mix it up after the
militia has been quieted, he owes 40 sous to the
confraternity, saving that which is owed to the lord.

30. And at the hour when the mayor and the aldermen order
the brothers to arm, he who does not arm owes 10 sous.

Here are some statistics, guild obligation for armored soldiers for the militia, from Rostock 1450 (Source: The Hansa, history and culture, 1988 Dorset Press, ISBN o-88029-182- 6 page 162. They list their source as: Kroppmann, K. : Die Wehrkraft der Rostocker Amter, in Hansiche Geschichtblatter, 1886, p. 166)

De dregher (porters) 150
De shoemakere (shoemakers) 40
De smede (smiths) 40
De beckere (bakers) 30
De haken (retailers) 30
De kremer (haberdashers) 20
De peltzer (furriers) 20
De knockenhouwere (butchers) 20
De boddekere (coopers) 20
De remensnydere (bridelmakers) 20
De scroder (taylors) 20
De gerwer (tanners) 20
De wullenwever (wool weavers) 20
De vischere (fishermen) 20
De kannegetere (pewterers) 16
De lynnenwever (linen weavers) 16
De repere (hoopers) 10
De murlude (masons) 10
De tymmerlude (carpenters) 10
De oltscrodere (old taylors) 10
De bertscherer (barbers) 6

There are 40 more guilds with a quota of 2 or 3 armed men, for a total of 622 militia

And as it relates to 'shooting the popinjay', a commentary by Jan Dlugosz on the year 1455 (from a MS completed in 1480)

"Two disasters now strike the city of Cracow. On the day the
new bishop, Thomas Strzepinski is elected, a fine bell with a
very pleasant ring, a gift of the late Cardinal-bishop Olesnicki, is
dislodged and falls and breaks the upper part of one ear, thus
making it useless, until it can be recast. Then, on the following
day, fire breaks out in the house of Thomas the Armourer,
which is close to the church. The attempts to put it out are only
half-hearted, for almost all the apprentices are outside the city
shooting at a popinjay or watching others do it; then the wind
goes round to the north and the flames break out again, and
the fire spreads rapidly. Some of the houses affected have
gunpowder stored in them and this only increases the blaze.
People are more concerned to rescue the contents of their
houses than to put out the fire, which, in the end, consumes over
a hundred houses and four churches, as well as the college of the
students of canon law, only two of the canon's houses being
saved, one that of the cantor and the other that of Canon Jan
Dlugosz [i.e. the author]. The fire spreads as far as the castle,
killing many, especially those who take refuge in their cellars."

-Jan Dlugosz, part of the entry for 1455, The Annals of Jan Dlugosz, page 523

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course. I wasn't arguing against the notion that peasants in medieval and Renaissance Europe were often surprisingly well-armed -- just against the use of Brueghel as strong primary evidence to prove that point. Because, let's just face it, Brueghel isn't. Using him as principal evidence may even weaken the argument when there's an art historian or costume historian in the audience.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I understand the point you are making, and it's a fair one, but here is my take for what it's worth.

The Brueghels, and Beham and Durer and others, do of course exaggerate or distort various aspects of their depiction of various social groups (or more properly for the period, 'Estates'). Beham for example draws peasants more heavily-featured and crude looking as people than he does burghers or nobles, and often shows them drunk or violent. An art historian or costume historian has a right to their opinion on whether inherent bias or tropes might have to do with the portrayal fighting kit, but they would have to make a case like anyone else that there is some reason to assume that the artist is making some specific distortions that have to do with weapons.

As a general rule, artists in this period (say 14th-16th Century) tended to depict people and buildings and so on as they saw around them regardless of the subject. That's why biblical and Classical Roman and Greek stories (etc.) are typically portrayed with the arms and armor of the artists own time and place - thus we get Alexander the Great in plate harness:

Some specific artists (like Durer, or Memling, Urs Graf etc.) have a reputation for being particularly accurate in their depiction of weapons and armor, others less so. But it's really the experts on weapons and armor who can make this distinction. Art historians don't do a great job of this, that's why before Oakeshott the hilts and pommels were the only way swords were being distinguished in museums and in academia.

I also think more broadly, that there is too much emphasis put sometimes on the supposed influence of tropes on artistic depictions of any and everything. Sometimes that is the main factor, it's very rarely the only factor.

Jean

Pieter B.

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette,

I see your point and will keep it in mind. What would you say is specifically incorrect in Bruegel's work?

Jean,

That list of armed militia from Rostock appears to be in middle Dutch. Is that really similar to medieval German or is there another reason it looks like Dutch?
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe that is middle-Low German which was the lingua franca of most of the Hanseatic League and almost all the towns in the Baltic Sea all the way up to Estonia, Finland and Sweden through the medieval period. It was also the official language of the (very large) territories of the Teutonic Order and Livonian Order, though many other languages were also spoken by their subjects and vassals.

It's obviously similar to Dutch and Flemish, and more specifically it's closely related to Frisian dialects I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Low_German

My understanding is that they still speak similar dialects (Plattdüütsch etc.) in many of these regions in lower Saxony, Mecklenburg and Pomerania and so on.

J

Pieter B.

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
I believe that is middle-Low German which was the lingua franca of most of the Hanseatic League and almost all the towns in the Baltic Sea all the way up to Estonia, Finland and Sweden through the medieval period. It was also the official language of the (very large) territories of the Teutonic Order and Livonian Order, though many other languages were also spoken by their subjects and vassals.

It's obviously similar to Dutch and Flemish, and more specifically it's closely related to Frisian dialects I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Low_German

My understanding is that they still speak similar dialects (Plattdüütsch etc.) in many of these regions in lower Saxony, Mecklenburg and Pomerania and so on.

J

Wow, that's amazing. I never realized Low German was so closely related to Dutch.

I found this old story in middle low german and was surprised how much of it I can read. It's a shame they don't speak this anymore. Damn those high German influences.

https://wikisource.org/wiki/Reynke_de_Vos

It's not quite like medieval Flemish and Hollandic but I can see how a Flemish trader could more or less comprehend a Hanseatic trader and vice versa. A shame really since it would be awesome if I could travel along the Baltic sea and converse in a dialect of German today. If this was truly spoken in the Baltic states, Sweden and all Hanseatic cities than we really lost something of value. I wonder how this language disappeared and got replaced by an odd 4 or 5 mutual unintelligible ones.

I do not believe it is related to Frisian though, it looks more like Flemish and Hollandic. Actually I would say it's more Dutch than modern German, there are some spelling influences but that's it. Maybe this particular source differs from others (stated to be from Lubeck) but i'd say it's 80-90% middle Dutch with German spelling and article's (as in grammar).

Quote:
Do Brun vor dat slot was ghekomen
Vnde de porten ghesloten vornomen,
Dar Reynke vth plach to ghan,
Do ghynck he vor de porten stan
Vnde dachte, wat he wolde begynnen.
He reep lude: »Reynke oem, synt gy dar bynnen?

And here is a near contemporary Frisian text.

Quote:
Dae kerren hia dat schipp, ende sylden wt mey dae ebba alsoe fyr, dat hia nen land siaen mochten. Dae was em herde lede toe moede. Dae spreeck di ena, deer fan Widekenis slachte was, di formesta aesga: Ic habbe heerd, dat God, wse Hera, dae hi oen eertrike was, toulif iongeren hede, ende hi solm trettiensta was, ende hi toe himmen koem al bi slettena dorem, ende traeste se, ende leerd se.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll defer to your knowledge as a native Germanic language speaker as to which language it sounds like more...

but I can indeed say that this was the language of all the towns of the Hanse, not just in Germany but further out in the Baltic: Riga, Tallinn, Stockholm etc. down to Hamburg and Lubeck. Each may have their own local dialects but Middle Low German was literally the trade language which they shared, just like high German seems to have evolved as a South German trade dialect and there was also a Rhennish one (even though individual towns like Cologne also had their own local dialect).

If you are having such an easy time reading it, there are a wealth of fascinating primary documents from the high-to-late medieval period '. I would love to be able to read the works of this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Martin_Lappenberg

Lots of interesting stuff in here about wars, raids, robber knights, pirates, Frisian rebels, duels, jousts, riots, rebellions etc. etc.

https://archive.org/details/hamburgischechr00chrogoog

Urkundliche Geschichte des Ursprunges der deutschen Hanse is probably pretty interesting too

J

Pieter B.

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll defer to your knowledge as a native Germanic language speaker as to which language it sounds like more...

but I can indeed say that this was the language of all the towns of the Hanse, not just in Germany but further out in the Baltic: Riga, Tallinn, Stockholm etc. down to Hamburg and Lubeck. Each may have their own local dialects but Middle Low German was literally the trade language which they shared, just like high German seems to have evolved as a South German trade dialect and there was also a Rhennish one (even though individual towns like Cologne also had their own local dialect).

If you are having such an easy time reading it, there are a wealth of fascinating primary documents from the high-to-late medieval period '. I would love to be able to read the works of this guy:

Lots of interesting stuff in here about wars, raids, robber knights, pirates, Frisian rebels, duels, jousts, riots, rebellions etc. etc.

Urkundliche Geschichte des Ursprunges der deutschen Hanse is probably pretty interesting too

J

One thing to keep in mind is that Low german became increasingly influenced by High German over the years so a piece from 1500 would be more Dutch than something from the time of Johann Martin Lappenberg.

I will look at Hamburgische Chroniken in niedersächsischer Sprache another time, the font is rather off putting and the plain text doesn't seem to be very readable either Blush
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter B. wrote:

J

One thing to keep in mind is that Low german became increasingly influenced by High German over the years so a piece from 1500 would be more Dutch than something from the time of Johann Martin Lappenberg.

I will look at Hamburgische Chroniken in niedersächsischer Sprache another time, the font is rather off putting and the plain text doesn't seem to be very readable either Blush

That chronicle he published (the one I linked to) goes back to the 14th Century

J

Pieter B.

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter B. wrote:

J

That chronicle he published (the one I linked to) goes back to the 14th Century

J

Did he literally cite a 14th or 15th century author or did he translate it into more modern Hamburgisch?

EDIT:

This is from Eike von Repgow (13th century) and is listed as being in ursprünglich (original) Niederdeutsch (low middle german) with latin next to it. The source you listed looks more like it's a 19th century translation of the original low middle German to contemporary 19th century German.

Sächsische Weltchronik

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...Repgow.pdf
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree the fonts are difficult but that is often the case with old books. Transcribing can be almost as much of a challenge as translating sometimes.

I honestly don't know if he translated it into a more modern dialect or not, I'm not an expert on languages and dialects, and my German isn't that good. Some of the chronicle would be in Middle Low German some of it would be in more modern versions of Low German, and the earliest manuscripts were probably hand written (if not all of them). The chronicle goes from the 14th Century through the 18th IIRC.

All I know is what I said before: I know it's a gold mine of data on raids, fights, duels, naval battles and so on and so forth because I read an abridged modern translation which was amazing. It's one of the most complete sources on the medieval world in this region that is still available (and already transcribed - if you think modern or Early Modern printed fonts are hard to read try medieval scripts).

So I wish I had the skills that you have to read the original!

J

Pieter B.

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree the fonts are difficult but that is often the case with old books. Transcribing can be almost as much of a challenge as translating sometimes.

I honestly don't know if he translated it into a more modern dialect or not, I'm not an expert on languages and dialects, and my German isn't that good. Some of the chronicle would be in Middle Low German some of it would be in more modern versions of Low German, and the earliest manuscripts were probably hand written (if not all of them). The chronicle goes from the 14th Century through the 18th IIRC.

All I know is what I said before: I know it's a gold mine of data on raids, fights, duels, naval battles and so on and so forth because I read an abridged modern translation which was amazing. It's one of the most complete sources on the medieval world in this region that is still available (and already transcribed - if you think modern or Early Modern printed fonts are hard to read try medieval scripts).

So I wish I had the skills that you have to read the original!

J

I can translate a little bit but it really feels like the old bits have high German influences. Maybe it is indeed the font that makes it rather hard but here it goes.

Page 33

Quote:
Anno 1171.

King Waldemar becomes so powerful that he wants Hamburg and all northern states.

Sentence I cannot translate (Ende Waldemar was sunte Ranutus sone) Could mean without son but that wouldn't make sense.

A young son was born and also named Waldemar.

In the following/same year the English (holy father)? Thomas of Canterbury was martyred

Rambling about Frederick I
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a general rule, artists in this period (say 14th-16th Century) tended to depict people and buildings and so on as they saw around them regardless of the subject.

The problem being that Bruegel didn't! He painted in the second half of the 16th century, but his subjects were depicted in the attire of the 1500s-1510s or the early 1520s at most, which we know had largely gone out of fashion by the time Bruegel painted it since there are many contemporary Flemish artists from the 1550s and 1560s who painted peasants too and they almost invariably put the peasants in much more fashionable attire (i.e. only a decade or two behind the high fashions of the aristocracy and the urban middle class, not fully half a century as Bruegel depicted them). Try Pieter Aertsen or Joachim Beuckelaer for instance -- they painted in roughly the same era (mid-to-late 16th century), but their peasants look very different from Bruegel's.

Pieter B. wrote:
I see your point and will keep it in mind. What would you say is specifically incorrect in Bruegel's work?

I don't remember much specifically since I learned of it through some correspondence a couple of years ago and I couldn't find the original discussion. But I think somebody pointed out the townsman at the far right end of the Wedding Feast thing -- he looked all right at first glance, but upon closer inspection there's something off. Maybe the ruff, maybe the pattern of the fabric on his coat, maybe the cut of the sleeves (or any combination thereof) -- I forgot. In any case, he looks rather like a time-traveller to people who know the difference, and it could be a mistake (maybe Bruegel forgot what city-folk looked like forty years before) or it could have been deliberate (maybe Bruegel wanted to leave a hint that he wasn't painting a scene contemporary to him, and perhaps even warn people not to take his depiction of the past as gospel).
Niels Just Rasmussen

Spotlight topics: 15

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you had sufficient money and connections you could get probably away with it but on the paper the laws were draconian. In the towns under German Town law, (including Slavic, Baltic, and Scandinavian towns) the rules were different, fighting for honor was ok, or at least not likely to get you executed, so long as certain unwritten rules were followed (basically fighting a 'fair fight'). Often duels were punished with a fine or exile at the worst.

I have found in the Laws of Copenhagen ("Københavns Stadsret" by Jens Kragh) from 1294 something interesting. Copenhagen was at that time owned directly by the Bishop of Roskilde.

Paragraph 45:
Danish:
"Ingen maa bære Vaaben indenfor Byens Porte eller han skal betale Biskoppen og Staden hver 10 Mark. Fra denne Bøde ere dog undtagne Biskoppens Folk, der skulle vogte Byen, men den Gæst, der kommer dertil, skal nedlægge Vaabnene i det Herberg, hvor han tager ind, og Husbonden skal meddele ham, at saadan er Byens Lov; men vil han ikke aflægge Vaabnene, skal Borgeren ikke beholde ham i sit Hus; gjør han det, bøde han 10 Mark til Biskoppen og ligesaameget til Staden."
Source: http://www2.gribskovgymnasium.dk/fs/1300Kbh/K...dsret.html

English translation:
Nobody can carry weapons inside the Town's gates, or he must pay the Bishop and the Town 10 Mark each. From this fine, the Bishop's men, that are to guard the town, are excepted; but that guest, who arrives here, must lay down his weapons in that shelter, where he goes in; and the shelter-owner must inform him, how the Town's laws are; but if he will not lay down the weapons, the shelter-owner must not keep him in his house; if he does, he is fined 10 Mark to the Bishop and the same amount to the Town.

You have no laws about dueling, but many laws about wounds:
A long list of primarily fines for wounding follow townspeople with weapons.

Killing gives you life-long imprisonment.
Wounds (slashing wounds I reckon) by sword or spear or other weapons: 6 Mark for each wound to be paid to the Victim, 6 Mark to the Bishop and 6 Mark to the Town.
Chopping off legs or arms or ripping out eyes: 40 Mark to the Victim, 20 Mark to Bishop, 20 Mark to Town.
Clubbed: 6 Mark to Victim, 3 Mark to Bishop, 3 Mark to Town.
But "Well-beaten" ? by clubs [severely broken, so permanently infirm?]: 40 Mark to the Victim, 20 Mark to Bishop, 20 Mark to Town.
Slapping, pulling hair, pulling nose or ears dragging them around that way, pulls cheeks and tears cloths - without giving flesh-wounds - or push people into gutter-trash: Victim, Bishop, Town each 3 Mark.

NB: If you are slapped or hair-pulled, while playing "tavl" [the old viking board-game - on Iceland called Hnefatafl - perhaps also including chess), the victim doesn't get any money -> Fine only 3 Mark to Bishop, 3 Mark to Town.
A person killed because of a "tavl" game are not to be buried on the Cemetery.
Guess the Church didn't like boardgames of strategy!
Tavl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games

Entering another man's house with intent to beat him up: Victim, Bishop, Town each 40 Mark.
If he kills someone: Life long imprisonment (called Orbodemål).
Shooting an arrow, spear or slingstone into another persons dwelling is "orbodemål" if it kills somebody (life imprisonment), but if it doesn't kill: Victim, Bishop, Town each 40 Mark.
Same rules applies to Ships.

Pushing people into the water: Victim, Bishop, Town each 20 Mark. [Remarkable expensive!]
Niels Just Rasmussen

Spotlight topics: 15

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter B. wrote:

Wow, that's amazing. I never realized Low German was so closely related to Dutch.

Well you can wonder why Dutch is called that way in English [Dutch = Deutch]. Dutch IS Low-German (which comprises many dialects].
Frisian (3 different regional dialects, where only 1 of the 3 is spoken in modern Holland!) is another Germanic language than Dutch and closest related to Anglo-Saxon.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval Blade Length Laws
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: