Hanwei Practical Mortuary Sword...feedback
Hi All,
About a week ago I posted on 3 different "sword site marketplaces" that I was looking for a Hanwei practical mortuary (in any condition) and have not yet received any responses.

My question is that...is this that awesome of a sword that no one wants to part with one.

From the reviews it doesn't seem so , so please help me understand...what the heck?!
I had found a regular Hanwei mort second hand a few months ago and found it quite nice for what it is. I had briefly handled a Hanwei Cromwell and the regular (hence a practical) has a slightly larger basket width. I see a few practicals listed from time to time and it seems they go pretty quick, so some must like them. I saw your ads and thought about a trade but honestly, I scarfed mine for a reason and intend to enjoy it. The practicals had found some favor for the HEMA crowd.

The fittings are stainless but I found a compound that is ace at blackening (Caswell Plating solution). I've not weighed mine but all in all, it handles very well, and this from someone that has multiple period spadroons and later half basket straight military swords. I have to figure the morts were one series that didn't make the cut profit wise due to production costs vs demand. I had almost bought a practical a couple of times and I admit to pouncing on a best offer via Ebay.

If your need is as noted for use as a prop, there are the plastic sparring morts.

Cheers

GC
That's just it...I only need the hilt to be in good condition as a prop for couple of paintings that I am doing.. I found a new one on line for 178.00 but hate to spend it for just that...I may buy it but hopefully someone has a worn one available that they won"t mind parting with.

Thank you for your feedback so far.
I saw one on kult of athena. It's a blunt blade mounted on the hilts of the sharp version of the sword.
I love mine. Been fencing with it since 2006. My basket has been reinforced so does not appear as original.
Do they have wooden or plastic core handles...I have read online that the older models were plastic.
Wire-wrapped Hanwei swords from that production era and model line generally have plastic-cored handles over welded tangs supporting a screw-on pommel. That's the construction of my old "Sidesword", which is very similar to the practical Mort.

The problem is, the plastic is hollow, which both makes it easily shattered. Also it doesn't restrain the tang very well; other people have reported bending and breakage due to this. IMO you really need to be careful about pushing the limits with these swords and as an owner of one I can't recommend them to anyone who wants to get into serious cutting practice.
Dan P wrote:
Wire-wrapped Hanwei swords from that production era and model line generally have plastic-cored handles over welded tangs supporting a screw-on pommel. That's the construction of my old "Sidesword", which is very similar to the practical Mort.

The problem is, the plastic is hollow, which both makes it easily shattered. Also it doesn't restrain the tang very well; other people have reported bending and breakage due to this. IMO you really need to be careful about pushing the limits with these swords and as an owner of one I can't recommend them to anyone who wants to get into serious cutting practice.

Actually, the mortuary swords have solid threaded tangs and wood core grips. I presume you are offering some sort of sweeping description about some Hanwei swords but that would be inaccurate in this case.

Cheers

GC

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: