would anyoane help me identifie this sword please?
I found it in a very old house in the attic in one wooden box, it looks like the el cid sword but I am not sure,is there anyone can help me to find out what is it?

Attachment: 96.26 KB
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Attachment: 54.33 KB
FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Attachment: 67.11 KB
FullSizeRender (3).jpg

It's a fairly common tourist "wall-hanger", probably Spanish, circa 1950s through 70s.
It is an old El Sid sword, I cant remember the right name off the top of my head. Like the poster above, 1950 to 1970s I would bet. Rat Tail tang.

Hang on Wall. Do not Swing
It looks an iberian kind of sword. If you have a photo of the point it may be easier to identify, as it can vary from a typical model of Christian/ Moorish Iberia sword to an Espada Ropeira/Portuguese Colhona:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carracks_black_sword
As illustration, here's a more recent reproduction with somewhat better quality fittings:

[ Linked Image ]

These were really very common back in the day. No knife catalog was complete without one. Still see them in the lower end pieces like the BudK catalog.
Yup, "Tizona El Cid", got one for my high school graduation in 1984. Mine had the fancier black hilt, but I wouldn't say "higher quality" since it was cast zinc. Stainless steel blade, rat-tail tang that did indeed snap off in a moonlit duel out on Gettysburg battlefield. I think it cost my parents a whole $27.

Yours is older, might actually be worth a little more than that?

Matthew

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: