Turban helmet from Royal Oak Armoury
My most recently completed project was this turban helmet in steel, silver and gold. It was a lot of work, and I hope it shows!

I will be posting in my blog about the process, and I will update the tread with a link when I have had a chance to. Thanks for looking.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

-Jeffrey Hildebrandt
Beautiful work, as always!

Why butted rings on the "camail"?
Thanks, Mart.

My customer was on the fence as to whether or not he even wanted the camail, but I felt that a turban helmet is incomplete without one, so I included it for free. Even with the butted rings, the labour I put into it makes it worth almost as much as what I charged for the entire helmet.

I was surprised at how supple the mail and plate combination turned out - the plates are three layers thick, and the rings are doubled in the rows between plates, and it still moves like silk.
Jeff,

I've been lying low lately trying to catch up with life (ah, to be young!) and haven't posted about any of your work as a consequence... But this, this required me to log into my account! Absolutely fantastic work, sir. Very glad to see that you have patrons who are continually challenging you with new and interesting projects. Your portfolio is already one of the most astounding compiled by a modern armorer, and I dare say you've been at it for far less time than most of your peers. Vivat!

-Gregory
Absolutely stunning! I am always excited to see your work because just when I think it can't get any better, it does!
Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Jeff,

I've been lying low lately trying to catch up with life (ah, to be young!) and haven't posted about any of your work as a consequence... But this, this required me to log into my account! Absolutely fantastic work, sir. Very glad to see that you have patrons who are continually challenging you with new and interesting projects. Your portfolio is already one of the most astounding compiled by a modern armorer, and I dare say you've been at it for far less time than most of your peers. Vivat!

-Gregory

Thanks, Gregory. I have appreciated your discerning feedback ever since I started in this business, and I am glad you took the time to weigh in.

I am glad I have patrons to give me challenging projects, too. To make progress in my craft requires that someone take a risk by ordering something that I haven't yet demonstrated my ability to make. Their confidence in my ability is a kind of praise in itself, and I would like to acknowledge my gratitude for it.
Just AWESOME - really kicks a#*es!
You added a camail for free...because, you know, why not? It only takes time and patience and precision to cut and file and sand and bend and drill those plates, and form the butted rings, and make it nice and neat FOUR TIMES. I certainly want an armorer who includes those little add-ons! Magnificent work--again!
Talented, skilled, studious, and generous -- what more could you ask for in an armourer?
That piece is stunning and has opened up a whole new appreciation for the type.
It's just plain foolish how good this is. Outstanding work! That's one lucky customer to get that piece! Thanks for posting it...
woooow :eek: ...pure beauty !
Jeffrey Hildebrandt wrote:
My customer was on the fence as to whether or not he even wanted the camail, but I felt that a turban helmet is incomplete without one, so I included it for free.

You, sir, are an artist and a gentleman.

And the helmet is gorgeous! I especially like the interplay of the bold script and its subtly detailed background.
Hi Jeffrey.
That is fantastic I love it congratulations and thank you for posting

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: