myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Do you carry a knife? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always carry a pocket knife.
I used to carry a fixed blade one on the belt as well but when I changed my work, I had to get rid of the visible knife.

All of the knives I use are hand made pieces…but they will probably outlast me. My current pocket knife has been carried and used on a daily basis for over 15 years now and is still in perfect condition.

In Austria it is totally legal to carry any kind of knife if you are over 18 years old and you don't threaten anybody.

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sometimes carry a knife, which is always a little swiss army keychain knife. Nice and legal and I don't normally see myself as needing anything with a longer blade.

M. Livermore

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a few that I cycle through but most of the time work precludes carrying a knife. I also work in the public schools. When I do carry it is my long-discontinued Spyderco Calypso Jr., my douk-douk, or a simple folder similar to the Opinel made by Pallares Solsona from Spain. I love the simple carbon steel knives. The humid summers here in Georgia call for extra care to prevent rust, but it is worth it. The Turkish clip point on the douk-douk just looks cool too.
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WW1 era British Army penknife. Good for opening boxes and cans, canvas work, horse and leather related stuff and if all else fails, trench raids.

These are three random examples of the web, mine is much more battered!

Attachment: 123.36 KB
WW1002.jpg

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carried one all the time for a few years, then started flying regularly, that stopped the habit. Have not gotten back into the habit of carrying a knife since then.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Tom King

PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Every day. I frankly don't understand how anyone gets by without one, considering how many people at my work end up needing my knife. Just this week I helped a woman remove the 10+ zip ties from a cradle toy and helped two gentlemen cut down a radiator hose. And thats just the out of the ordinary things. I use it daily for various maintenance, forestry, and groundskeeping tasks.

My normal edc is a cheap shrade with a half serrated blade just in case I lose it. Besides that, I have a suit knife with burled walnut scales and a damascus blade and several bucks, gerbers, kershaws, etc. that used to be edc at some point.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep, a cute little Benchmade Mini Griptilian with a plain edge, a thumb hole and neon yellow scales. It's handy, comfortable and not tacticool in the least. Happy

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Do you carry a knife?         Reply with quote

I don't carry a knife wherever I go because I fear that I might be arrested for carrying a concealed weapon.
However, my dad keeps several knives; 2 Swiss Army knives (Victorinox, Wenger), 1 hunting knife (Schrade) and 1 fillet knife (Rapala).

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't carry a knife ... but often do carry a fist-sized rock.

I've actually thought about this quite a bit over the years, since my beagle and I take walks
within a 5-mile radius of home. We've had our somewhat unfortunate share of run-ins with
truant dogs of usually agressive breeds, one that required an emergency visit to the vet and
five stitches in my dear pooch's shoulder, but no truant " humans " of disagreeable nature ...
* knock on linoleum * ...

I've considered getting something made, ideas have ranged from a short metal-shod club
to an even shorter but not too short spear-shaped " item " ... but so far only The Rock, and I
don't mean Dwayne Johnson, seems convenient ...
Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've found that a Leatherman tool is more useful, and I'm not afraid to abuse it. I used to carry $400+ knives like Strider, Chris Reeve, etc, but I was reluctant to really use them hard. Ridiculous I know. So now I carry a Leatherman daily. Still love knives though!
"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Gordon Alexander

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like others here, I lost too many to the TSA so I quit carrying them. Been trying to get back in the habit with a leatherman though.
Michael J H

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wear a Kershaw Skyline. Great knife, not too spendy, light weight.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Do you carry a knife?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: