Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Armorers at Renaissance Faires? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I can give some positive personal experience with ren faires- I was introduced to A&A back in 96' through the faire in Fredericksburg VA. So, for me through the renn faires I actually got the chance to handle my first quality reproduction. I would love the chance to go to the faire here in MA and handle some more Albion next gens. even though I don't hold out hope for this due to the cost feasibility question.
Jeremy
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Some thoughts...         Reply with quote

We have tried some Renn Faires (small ones), and to be honest we rarely sell anything. I remember a while back talking to Craig J. about Bristol (I consider Craig a friend), and based on what he has said, they do well because they have had a presence there for many, many years. They have a good reputation, but Craig admitted that they run into the same problem that we do: Renn Faire people (and I don't mean this as a slam) are generally not interested in our weapons. Let's face it (and I like to dress up for faire) most Rennies don't want to spend $700 for a sword that they have to peace tie anyway. Plus, you get the endless stream of people who believe that "the Katana is the best sword ever," "stainless steel is the only steel," "why should I spend $700 when United Cutlery makes a great sword for under $100," "your swords are too light," "the Sword of Vampire Blood Lust is only $59, why are your's so expensive," "is this sword made from REAL steel," blah, blah, blah. It just doesn't seem to be our market niche.

We have, however, discovered that knife shows are a good in road for us. We had a very profitable time at the Atlanta Blade Show and we hope that the Las Vegas show will be profitable also. Many people show up at a blade show ready to spend a large sum of money. Blade shows tend to draw collectors who are more interested in the historic basis for our swords. In general (again not a Renn Faire slam) blade show customers seem more educated about what we are selling. IMHO.

In general, I believe Renn Faires are about what we all enjoy in them: dressing up, wearing a sword (albeit peace tied), talking in bad English accents, drinking too much beer and causing trouble with the faire organizers.

Now, Lloyd and Lisa Clark have a great idea for creating a historic village. I believe in that environment, Albion might do well. In addition, I'd like to dress up, talk in a bad English accent, drink too much beer, and hassel Lloyd and Lisa...okay maybe not.

Again, I want to state that I am not slamming Renn Faire folks (I am/was one) and I work with some of them. It is my cross to bear Wink

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stark: If you folks get a weekend or two in mind, let me know! my friends (a good chunk of Lloyd and Lisa's crew) and I had season passes last year to Bristol and it would be great to hang with you all!

Eric: being a paragon of chaos in Lloyd and Lisa's world is fun Big Grin . . . and your English accent isn't really all THAT bad Wink
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good day gents. As much as I would love to see Albion at the Bristol faire (or any faire), I'm obliged to agree with Eric. Do you really think that the average Rennie (costumed or not) will know what you mean by "center of percussion" or "point of balance?" Tell them that the sword they're holding in their hand is classified as a "Type XVa according to Ewart Oakeshott's blade typology" and see what kind of response you get. Hardly the sales pitch necessary for them to fork over $850 for a sword that is very sharp and doesn't even come with a scabbard.

While I think Albion would do well with selling the Squire Line swords or Del Tins at a Renfaire, I foresee three problems here. (1) There are currently only four different swords in the Squire Line, (2) Del Tins are hard to get as they come all the way from Italy and (3) while there are a few dozen different swords in the NextGen line, Patrick is absolutely right; who comes to the faire ready to plop down $700-$1,000 for a sword? ("But that guy down there is selling swords for only $200, and he says his swords can slay orcs!") Worried

I'd say Albion is doing just fine the way they are; taking Internet and phone orders plus the occasional knife show. May they remain ever prosperous. That said, as a die-hard rennie myself, I often wear my Albion swords with costume to my home faire (Ohio Renn. festival) and they receive many admirers. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Armorers at Renaissance Faires?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: