Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Type XVIII blade with type I1 pommel? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathaniel C.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Type XVIII blade with type I1 pommel?         Reply with quote

Hi, it's been a rather long time. Evidently several years.
It took me a while to reactivate my account so that I could post again.

Anyway, I was recently forced by about half an inch of water to reevaluate everything in my basement. In the process I went through all my old half finished projects which rekindled some ideas...

I've got an octagonal pommel, specifically from Albion's count (from the first moat sale) that I was planning to mount on a Hanwei/Tinker bastard blade. I'm going to shorten the hilt length to a more standard single handed size, which would make the sword a type XVIII, I believe.

They should both be appropriate to the 15th century but I'd like to be more specific than that. However, I don't think I've ever seen a pairing quite like this.

The pommel's also I bit on the heavy side but I think that will be alright. I'll need some of that weight to bring the POB back for to make the blade more handy as a single hander.

So would a type I1 just look totally out of place on XVIII blade? It seams that all the period examples I can find have either disk or fishtail pommels. Are there other variations?

I will will try to get some pictures later to show roughly how they look together, though I don't have a guard yet.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21167

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=18095
Juan Federico Gonzalez

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Type XVIII Pommel         Reply with quote

I think that it will look just fine. If you're really worried about it, I will trade you two pommels for your one. Happy

In case that you may actually think about it, one pommel is from a Dark Sword Armory sword and the other is from a Windlass Medieval Classic Sword.

Anyway, use your! It's bound to look awesome. Happy

One of the most horrible features of war is that all the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.

George Orwell - Homage to Catalonia
Nathaniel C.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately I've got a stockpile of projects so growing the collection probably isn't the best idea. To be honest I really like the octagonal pommel, I just wasn't sure what to put it on. It's a very beautifully shaped piece of bronze.
I'm also not sure what kind of guard would be appropriate. I'm limited in my tool set and my capabilities to form a guard but I'd like it to aesthetically work with the concave octagonal pommel from the count. I'm thinking of a curved guard, mimicking a bit of the Albion Prince's styling seeing as it has a very similar pommel.
I might try to make a guard similar to the Kingmaker, since it is also a type XVIII.

[Edited to add pictures]

The drawing is a bit out of proportion. The asymmetry is just to show the option of leaving the guard straight or curved. I'm leaning curved.

Attachment: 208.31 KB
IMAG0737 (452x800).jpg

Attachment: 220.28 KB
IMAG0738 (800x452).jpg

Attachment: 129.91 KB
IMAG0743 (800x452).jpg

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21167

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=18095
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pommel might look rather unusual on that blade but not completely out of place. And for what it's worth, I think it'd fit better with a straight guard.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Type XVIII blade with type I1 pommel?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic