Go to page 1, 2  Next

My first sword has arrived.
I thought I'd introduce myself by showing off my first sword ever, an Albion Next Generation Earl, delivered just last week. Sorry these are not the most artistic sort of pictures...just the living room floor...and not terribly hi-res. I'm tempted to shoot some better quality pics with the intent of entering the Albion Europe photo contest. Is anyone else submitting photos for that contest?

At first glance I thought arghhhg!, but then looking at those pics a few times, your Earl looks quite cool.
Is it really a blackened hilt or is it just the colour of the pictures? Makes it look pretty mean with the black...
Congratulations! An Albion Earl is one heck of a first sword.
That's gorgeous! Great choices!
Welcome and congratulations Brian,

As far as first swords go you have certainly got many of us, myself included, beat in that department!

The Earl is a great sword and Albion's products are excellent. A bit too black for my taste but that's just personal. :)

Again, welcome!
It's so rare to see this treatment in high-quality modern swords. Not appropriate for all, of course, but swords of this period look great in black, especially with contrasting details/decoration.

Attachment: 47.56 KB
attachment.jpg

Attachment: 45.82 KB
attachment-1.jpg

absolutely gorgeous :D
Congratulations :D and... OMG *_* she's Gorgeous.
Jimi Edmonds wrote:
At first glance I thought arghhhg!, but then looking at those pics a few times, your Earl looks quite cool.
Is it really a blackened hilt or is it just the colour of the pictures? Makes it look pretty mean with the black...

Yes, the hilt and pommel were blackend at my request. I wanted a more "subdued" look, I guess. Anyway I feel that Albion pulled it off quite nicely...compliments go to them.

This was a long overdue endulgence of a desire held since childhood.
I made a sword based on the one in this Memling painting, and seeing yours makes me wish I had kept that weapon! What was I thinking???

Attachment: 115.11 KB
memling3_158_105.gif

You are doing this the smart way! I wish I had skipped the lower end and gone straight for the good stuff off the bat, would have saved some dough.

I like the all black treatment too, its really nice to see how that can alter the feel (visually) of a piece and the Earl is a hell of a first sword! Some day I would like a nice hollow ground blade.

Kudos!
Matthew P. Adams wrote:
Some day I would like a nice hollow ground blade.

The hollow ground blade was the number one factor in guiding my choice.
Sean Flynt wrote:
It's so rare to see this treatment in high-quality modern swords. Not appropriate for all, of course, but swords of this period look great in black, especially with contrasting details/decoration.

And I'd like to see a black guy trying that look instead of the overdone modern gangsta thing....

(I'm all Asian and I have no problem putting on a medieval European kit. Blacks ought to have even less problem since there's much more evidence for their presence in medieval Europe than for my folks!)
So it has been blackened. Yes that is one very nice sword. Oneday maybe..oneday..
For a first sword, you can't do any better than the Earl
What a wonderful sword, what a great start to collecting.
Except maybe for a full custom sword by a top maker I would say that you started at the top of the line with your first sword and I really like the darkened hilt furniture.
very nice, its got a wicked appeal but still maintains an elegance.

first sword, you got something there that will last a lifetime. myself, when i got my first sword something about tapping the pummel and feeling the harmonics was somehow enlightening.
Congrats! I'm ashamed to admit that when I saw the Earl on Albion's website I never cared for the looks of it...at all. Then, when I had a chance to hold one in person, I couldn't have been more blown away. It was my first time holding an Albion sword, and I held about 10 (or more ) of them, and got to compare them. The Earl was the only one that actually shocked me with it's feel. Looks aside (still not wildly crazy about the asthetics), it is incredible at handling (probably my favorite sowrd I've held). As a side note, I really like the black hilt on yours, good choice!
Congrats on the awesome sword! I don't own a sharp longsword yet, and that one is close to the top of my list.

Did you buy it as a beauty queen or do you plan on putting it through its' paces?

Love the hilt furniture.
Beautiful sword. I really like the blackened furniture!
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: