French rondel
Dear all,

In the past few days, I've been having a lot of trouble to find the original source of the attached image. Only two details have come to light:

- 15th century dagger
- Found in France

Of course, a bit more details would be most helpful. Who can tell me what we are looking at? My best guess is a triangular cross-section rondel from the last quarter of the 15th century, but any information with sources would be fantastic!

Warm regards,
Dennis

Attachment: 39.09 KB
rondel.jpg

Personally, I'd class it as a stiletto, rather than a rondel dagger. To my un-educated mind, the hilt just doesn't have the details I'd expect of a rondel dagger.
Dennis, it looks very much like this one, on sale at Christieīs: http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/arms-armor...tails.aspx

If itīs the same one, itīd be a composite. This is what their website says:
A FRENCH RONDEL DAGGER WITH NIELLOED WHITE METAL HILT, IN LATE 15TH CENTURY STYLE
The blade 17th Century, the hilt 19th Century
With slender tapering blade of stiff-triangular section (pitted), spiral baluster white-metal hilt decorated throughout with nielloed fleur-de-lys and foliate scrolls.
14in (37cm)
Burgundian dagger, French, 15th century

Yup. Looks like Radovan Geist nailed it.
As was previously mentioned it's almost not a rondel at all and not a form I've seen before. I KNEW I needed to get back to this place and learn some new things. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: