Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > badly innacurate history movies, that we still love... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
William P

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'd also add montey pythons holy grail and life of brian

while the costumes and acting was somewaht silly, the python crew, all being classicallists, were abkle to pretty subtly slide generous dollops of truth about the period into their films

Life of brian i think was a bit more obvious in that regard

except for the EXTREMELY abrupt segway when brian is accidently sucked up into an alien spacecraft (i STILL have no idea what that was about)
Rim Andries

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:

Excalibur shouldn't really be included in a list of historical film; it was never meant to be one.
It's Boorman's vision of Mallory's 'Morte D'Arthur', filmed through a pre-Raphaelite lens.

I see where you are coming from. And to an extend I agree with you. I had some doubts about whether or not to include it myself, but since I did include King Arthur and First Knight, along with other legendary films and fictional tales like Robin Hood and The three musketeers, I decided to give it a place on the list.

On top of that, the story of King Arthur has been told and retold in many different shapes and sizes. Some of them incorporate fantastical elements while others keep the story bound to the laws of physical reality as we know them. For these reasons it felt wrong to ignore Excalibur.

A couple I forgot about: Joan of Arc (Luc Besson), Elizabeth, Elizabeth:The Golden Age... Yes to all of them. Blackadder (overlooking that one is inexcusable;))... Hell to the yes!

Sir Dreamin'
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a couple that as yet have not been mentioned

Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves

The Robin Hood with Russell Crowe

The Mists of Avalon

Beowulf and Grendel

While my absolute favorite may well be Rob Roy. While historical rubbish, I always liked First Knight

Sorry, rereading previous posts I see that both Robin Hoods have been mentioned. I will however order some DVD's to check out some those mentioned that I have not seen. Thanks for the ideas and future viewing pleasure to all.
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't seen any Jerzy Hoffman movies mentioned yet.

I am not sure how historically accurate they are but they are enjoyable. The lack of CGI in those big battle scenes really makes it feel more alive and more like Waterloo.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't like Excalibur much at all as a 17 year old arthurian. I think it would warp my mind to see it again now..

Whoops, got my arthur movies mixed up. Sheesh. I meant First Knight, 1995. I'm old, but I'm not that old...yet. Laughing Out Loud

First Knight was still bad. a good date as I remember, but a bad movie. I am sure I impressed my date with my knowledge of various arthurian arcana.

I'm sure of it...

I edited my first post to correct it there.

Last edited by J. Nicolaysen on Thu 19 Feb, 2015 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Martin Kealey

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Movies we love         Reply with quote

I would certainly have to include Olivier's "Henry V" and "Richard III", Ingrid Bergman's "Joan of Arc", and Robert Taylor's "Ivanhoe". Also very high on the list are Jerzy Hoffman's "Ogniem i Mieczem", "Potop", and "Pan Wolodyjowski".
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gods, how could I forget to mention "Becket" and "The Lion in Winter" !?!

The films were made just four years apart but O'Toole really seems to put a couple of decades onto his Henry in the later story. The swordplay in "Lion" is absolutely the worst, but dang the dialog is memorable.
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rim Andries wrote:
A Knights Tale

Oh yeah, I forgot about Knight's Tale. I really like the rags to riches kind of story so that one is one of my favorites. I even liked the rock and roll sound track. Jousting was the Medieval equivalent of modern pro sports so it was fun to see the crowds getting amped up to rock anthems. More appropriate than the classical soundtrack these kinds of movies usually get anyway.
Tim Harris
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll throw my weight behind The Last Valley. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I suspect one of the dodgiest elements in it is Michael Caine's German accent.
William P

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kuo Xie wrote:
Rim Andries wrote:
A Knights Tale

Oh yeah, I forgot about Knight's Tale. I really like the rags to riches kind of story so that one is one of my favorites. I even liked the rock and roll sound track. Jousting was the Medieval equivalent of modern pro sports so it was fun to see the crowds getting amped up to rock anthems. More appropriate than the classical soundtrack these kinds of movies usually get anyway.

i would actually argue that a knights tale is actually a sport film... not quite a period film... much like a film about babe ruth except MUCH further back in time..

and i would argue that they manage to capture the FEEL of the tournements, its rowdy, its loud, full of colour, they also mention the concept of makers marks being almost like a logo nowadays. the fact everyone is in plate armour a centure later than the set period is a LITTLE jarring but passable in the case of this film since the pace of the story and the atmosphere draws you in

i'd argue it';s the more accurate tournement scene since jabberwocky

like the nostalgia critic said, dont worry that you saw the puppeteer, be worried if you focused more on the puppeteer than the puppets.
Martin Kealey

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: History movies         Reply with quote

I must add "The Tower of London". Any "historical" movie (this one ostensibly about Richard III) that has Sir Cedric Hardwick, Basil Rathbone, Vincent Price, and the great Boris Karloff has to be a winner no matter how wrong it is.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For something rather different, there's the 1993 Fong Sai-yuk with Jet Li in the lead role.

And the 1992 remake of Dragon Gate Inn with Brigitte Lin, Tony Leung, and Donnie Yen. Far better than the newest remake with Jet Li, since I don't see why they even bothered to hire Jet Li at all when they ended up relying much more on tacky CG effects than his actual wushu badassery.
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
Kuo Xie wrote:
Rim Andries wrote:
A Knights Tale

i would actually argue that a knights tale is actually a sport film... not quite a period film... much like a film about babe ruth except MUCH further back in time..

and i would argue that they manage to capture the FEEL of the tournements, its rowdy, its loud, full of colour, they also mention the concept of makers marks being almost like a logo nowadays. the fact everyone is in plate armour a centure later than the set period is a LITTLE jarring but passable in the case of this film since the pace of the story and the atmosphere draws you in

like the nostalgia critic said, don't worry that you saw the puppeteer, be worried if you focused more on the puppeteer than the puppets.

I would agrue that,especially as you go back in time, the feel of tourney's in Knight's Tale are completely off, you seem to forget that these tourney's were developed originally as a way from Knights to keep there skills sharp during peacetime so they can perform well in War, also, allot of people died fighting in tourney's, it was a high risk martial training exercise. Manuscripts of knights fighting in tourneys usually show people attentively watching, not hooping and howlering
Hunter B.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kuo Xie wrote:
Another vote for "Kingdom of Heaven". Leaving aside the historical inaccuracies (agnostic crusaders, armor worn at the banquet table, that weird "flip" nasal the Hospitaller wears, etc.)

In defense of the nasal, IIRC they had to incorporate that because of David Thewliss's rather large nose.

“It is the loose ends with which men hang themselves.”
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Braveheart...very stirring to a Scotish-American like me but ridiculously inaccurate.

Kingdom of Heaven
....The story in general is fairly accurate but the embellishments - romance, etc. are way too far out. Still, I loved it and have the Director's Cut on Blu Ray.

The Patriot...Don't care much for Mel but the photography was good and it was filmed very close to where I live. The scene where he and the boys attack the British holding the oldest son captive was worth the cost of admission.

The Lion in Winter...Watched it recently. Great drama but the weapons were crap.

Robin Hood with Russell Crowe...Pretty good, hard to swallow and the armor was way off. But Robin Hood is a legend any way.

Rob Roy...The Liam Neeson version was pretty good but the costuming was lousy. RR wore a belted plaid, not a two piece ensemble. Also, almost none of the Highlanders had on a bonnet. It is a wonder they weren't all sick all the time. The swords and dirks were not bad.

Rob Roy...The Disney version. Better than the Neeson version IMHO so it probably does not belong on a list of historically inaccurate movies.

Man in the Wilderness...Richard Harris playing mountain man Hugh Glass, mauled by a grizzly and left for dead by his buddies. Firearms were not good at all but the story was interesting and pretty well acted.

If I may diverge slightly from the subject, I thought that Master and Commander was one of the best and most authentic movies about that period of all time. It took great pains to show the audience how folks lived on board a British Warship in the early 19th c. The story was good and I though all the actors did very well.

A recent film which I found to be historically accurate, as far as weapons, equipment and costuming, was Fury. A terrific movie if you have not seen it.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
William P

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:
William P wrote:
Kuo Xie wrote:
Rim Andries wrote:
A Knights Tale

like the nostalgia critic said, don't worry that you saw the puppeteer, be worried if you focused more on the puppeteer than the puppets.

I would agrue that,especially as you go back in time, the feel of tourney's in Knight's Tale are completely off, you seem to forget that these tourney's were developed originally as a way from Knights to keep there skills sharp during peacetime so they can perform well in War, also, allot of people died fighting in tourney's, it was a high risk martial training exercise. Manuscripts of knights fighting in tourneys usually show people attentively watching, not hooping and howlering

and it also became quite sportified as we reach the late 14th- early- mid 15gth centuries, not as much as in the 16th century, but it was getting there i believe...

as for the cheering crowds...

that would definately NOT be out of place if we were talking about roman/ byzantine chariot racing but, ill take your word for it with regards to knightly tournements
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 13 Feb, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Kingdom of Heaven....The story in general is fairly accurate but the embellishments - romance, etc. are way too far out. Still, I loved it and have the Director's Cut on Blu Ray.

While I don't know how much romance was involved (as opposed to power politics), the marriage politics involving the historical figures were pretty remarkable. Balian married Sybilla's father's 2nd wife, Sybilla anulling her marriage to Guy before her coronation (as a condition for the coronation to go ahead), being crowned, and then choosing Guy as her husband, etc. The movie was simpler.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The 13th Warrior and Centurion are probably my favorite inaccurate movies.

The 13th Warrior botched the costuming horribly and the plot was silly, but they did a good job on the Norsemen's cultural attitudes, and it's still a lot of fun.

Centurion did a better job on the costuming, but the plot was only okay, and the 9th Legion's fate isn't positively confirmed -- although the idea of them getting slaughtered by the Picts does appeal to me. Also, the gore is exaggerated, sometimes to ludicrous levels.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about The Messenger? WIth Milla Jovovich.

Man in the iron mask, with Leonardo Dicapreo. There was a scene where the musketeer used the rapier like a baseball bat.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:

If I may diverge slightly from the subject, I thought that Master and Commander was one of the best and most authentic movies about that period of all time. It took great pains to show the audience how folks lived on board a British Warship in the early 19th c. The story was good and I though all the actors did very well.

100% agreed here. Probably the best period film I've ever seen. Having seen it I feel I should be content with the fact that we got it in the first place and shouldn't really expect anything that good from Hollywood again.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Last edited by Ian Hutchison on Thu 19 Feb, 2015 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > badly innacurate history movies, that we still love...
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: