Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Some review for Hanwei Practical hand and half sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Angel Vasilev

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Some review for Hanwei Practical hand and half sword         Reply with quote

I thing to buy a hanwei practical hand and a half sword
for 3 weeks i am searching reviews in internet about that sword, and honestly i dint find any bad compleinings
its says in website that the sword is made from 1065 carbon steel and its hardnes to 50 HRC
actually my sword is made from 1065 carbon steel and its hardnes to 48-50 HRC and its very good in every aspect.

what can you tell me about that sword? - > http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/practi...p-580.html

I am looking for oppinion and reviews from thous who order hanwei practical hand and a half sword and have a touch with it.
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, I found this sword to be blade heavy and thick and could have done with a slightly bigger pommel (the previous model of this sword had a much better lighter blade, but also a BIG, in my opinion pain in the arse pommel!). I'm not in favour of the way it handles.

One of the guys here who has this sword took to grinding the blade to bring the weight back a bit. Though he was never really happy with this particular model.

After a while of combat, these swords (well seems most of the practical line) end up with loose rattling hilts that must be tightened from time to time, as the swords are fixed via compression of the hilt components ie; they slip on the crossguard, followed by grip then held in place with the pommel that has been peened.

The blade can withstand a fair amount without to much heavy burring.

Also it come's down to what you wish to use it for?

It's an ok sword for re-enactment combat (still will rattle apart and will need a hammering), looks the part.

For practice of longsword systems or European historical arts, it would do for a starting point, but for this the hilt (I find) is to short, the blade to heavy and the sword to slow, and there is next to no flexing in the thrusts (and will rattle apart).

The good side is that these swords are fairly cheap and should last a good while. But be prepared to do maintenance on this sword.
Angel Vasilev

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will use it for training and lighty sparring, reenactment fights , but not as in Battle of the nations, i mean something more softcore.

1 of my friends have this sword for 3 years now, other friend have it for 4 years and its still can be fight with it.
Its heavy i thing this is good becouse actually its a sword for re-enactment which means this sword need to be heavyer.
I saw one review that dude says the sword blade stands mostly of the hardcore attacks and the handle is good not startingto move around.(the review was from 2010 year)

I have now one sword Xa, 101cm long, 84cm blade long, and its 1.300 kg which is heavy for this type of sword but its blund and for re-enactment so its not bad at all.

Actually every sword will become as a jigsaw when you fight.
But i am wondering here that Practical Hanwei hand and half sword it is good for re-enactment , fight for scale 1 to 10...lets say 4-6 points hard fight of that scale, it is good for that?
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one of these swords, also known as the Hanwei SH2106. It's a model that has gone through a number of revisions and iterations, and is now at number 5. I have used it for stage combat, and it has held up well.

It is a good sword for the money, and a lot of people would agree with that statement. If you are willing to pay more, you can get a better sword. Compared to other swords at that price, it has OK balance, and handles reasonably well. It has thick, durable edges - the only problem is that they are square, and will nick up more than if they were rounded. There is very little flex in the blade.

For a little more money, you could get the Hanwei/Tinker SH2395 Longsword, if you can find one. It will feel much more like a real sword. Its big problem, is that the edges aren't very durable, and it tends to get chewed up.

The SH2106 is a good sword to start out with. Eventually you are going to want to get something better, like an Albion Maestro.
Angel Vasilev

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. In 2 weeks i will get my Hanwei Hand and a Half sword, and i will test it , and i will write my review of it.
I hope to be good sword for practice , training and lighty re-enactment fights.
Angel Vasilev

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got my hanwei practical hand and a half sword
model 2014
Total length 111 cm
Blade length 87.5 cm
Center of balance about 12.5 cm
Handle 18 cm
Weight 1450 g

Tail of the tang is hammered in the pommel that you can see the hits from the hammer.
I thing maybe the pommel need to be little bit bigger. But this is my opinion.
I think for hand and half sword is not that heavy, but point of balance maybe need to be closer to the corss-guard.
Blade is little bit stiff, not that flexible. Which is not that save for sparing and reenacting, by historical view of point that is good, but still for long sword as this one, maybe will be bad...
First impressions, even the balance is so far from the cross guard, the sword is fast, and comfortable in the hand.
I will test him very soon. But still i hope to not get broke Happy

Attachment: 51.97 KB
[ Download ]
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pommel on iteration 5 is smaller than earlier versions. That may have let the COG go a little farther down the blade, but not excessively - it is still within 5 inches. Yes, it has a stiff blade. Many reenactors/bouters prefer a stiff blade without much flex - stage combat folks, not so much.
Angel Vasilev

PostPosted: Fri 13 Feb, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i tast my hanwei sword vs my old one hand sword....and interesting think happend...hanwei sword dont have any scraches, but my other sword have become as a jigsaw in some places....seems like my one hand sword is softer then Hanwei...

But problem is that the handle of the hanwei sword start to loose a little bit...which may be a problem...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Some review for Hanwei Practical hand and half sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic