Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > late 15th/early 16th cent sword at Wakefield Museum, Yorks Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: late 15th/early 16th cent sword at Wakefield Museum, Yorks         Reply with quote

The Museum has just moved and been re-displayed and as I had to pop in I had a wander. This was on display and is interesting, like the guard. I'll re-size and post up what pics I've been sent as I can. Busy day, the world has returned to work!.

The guard arm terminals are particularly nice.

My thoughts are its not quite right as a homogenous item, comments welcome!

Trying to find out where its come from, listed as German and on loan from another collection.

Griff

Attachment: 145.83 KB
SH10167A.jpg

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like the looks of it, but also fear it is a composite. I would like to hear it's not. What are the dimensions?
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not able to measure its as its in its case and 5 or so counties away. I have the museum staff hunting down more info and like i said, more pics to come.

Pommel looks to light and the blade and cross guard patinas don't match imho

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More pics, close ups of the markings

Attachment: 347.79 KB
SH10167B.jpg

Attachment: 324.97 KB
SH10167C.jpg

Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

and more! Trying to get a close-up of the guard terminals as they are very nice. Split, then elegantly curved and crenelated.

Attachment: 270.37 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 495.52 KB
[ Download ]

Allen W

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The guard looks a little small for the blade but the grip looks very much like an owner modification. I can't site any specific cues beyond the grip but it "feels" whole and of a purpose to me. My gut says 17th Cent. composite that reached final form within its working life.
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that Wade. I'm hoping to get it out in March and then I'll be able to have a feel, always a good test!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > late 15th/early 16th cent sword at Wakefield Museum, Yorks
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic