Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > TEOTWAWKI/SHTF scenario. Your weapons of choice? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jan, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Pretty sure the 1861 colt navy is black powder not cartridge....

Lots of black powder cartridge guns out there, .45-70 for example was originally a black powder cartridge Happy In fact, I've heard that modern smokeless .45-70 factory cartridges are underloaded so that the pressure won't blow up an old trapdoor if they're loaded up. However, the 1861 sort of is and isn't cartridge - I think it was intended to be used with little paper cartridges of powder that were inserted into the cylinder and burned up when fired, but I don't think they're required for use.
Kevin P Molloy

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jan, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think of history and would look to the American Frontiersman who did pretty well for hundreds of years with a Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle a Tomahawk and large hunting knife like a Bowie.
Another example from history I would look to is the Irish Kern who used Spear/Javelin, Scian, and one handed or hand an a half Sword. Both were successful at surviving for hundreds of years in woods and wilderness.

Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the Ancient Sword is O'Molloy of the Freeborn Name"... O'Dugain(d.1372AD)
Rim Andries

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Rim Andries wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
How about a 12-pound Napoleon gun?

1861 Colt Navy revolver?

1861 Springfield Musket?

Thanks for representing the guns in this post Joe. Seems like you are the only one for now, I wonder why.

Not sure what you are going to do with the 12 pounder? Pack light remember? Happy

The colt uses a paper cartridge if I'm not mistaken, so I 'm not sure I can allow it. I have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise we would all be choosing AK 47's and Glock's and that would be boring. Wink

The musket? Can't see why not!

Pretty sure the 1861 colt navy is black powder not cartridge....but I can go back a few years to get same general idea.

Napoleon is for the front porch. Call it a doorbell.

It is indeed a black powder gun, that employed a paper cartridge most of the time. But after some digging I found out it can be used in traditional fashion, by simply measuring the amount of black powder. Therefore I will allow it Wink I wonder if it will still be able to fire six shots in rapid succession though. Anyone care to inform me on this one? Cheers! Ps If you are going for a doorbell in the apocalypse, it might as well be that one! Wink

Sir Dreamin'

Last edited by Rim Andries on Mon 05 Jan, 2015 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I liked Jean's choices. A bow would be great, but 'm not proficient, so that's out.

1) A bastard sword, specifically my ATrim Maker's Mark XVIa. The blade is 33 inches, a good length for me. It's light, strong, fast, a good cut and thrust, and is the most lethal sword I've ever come across. The photo below doesn't do it justice.

2) I need something shorter, like the Coustille Ben mentioned. Luckily, I have a DT6161, a broad 16.5 inch long blade, that would be good for enclosed places. I'd also have a shorter knife, but as Jean says, that doesn't count.

3) i agree with Jean about the Polearm. A poll axe, would be nice, but it might be difficult to carry around. Instead, I would go for a spear, perhaps the A&A Friedrich IV.

Hey Roger I notice that it is hard for people to ignore the tools. I never said that they should, it is just that I will not count them as a weapon, simply because they are not. Unless their intended purpose was to fill both needs at the same time of course. The tomahawk being a perfect example of this. That brings me to your axe. I like it a lot! And I am sure I have seen it before. I wonder if this is only a tool. It seems to have some of the elements of a throwing axe. Where did you find it?

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Sir Dreamin'
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rim Andries wrote:

That brings me to your axe. I like it a lot! And I am sure I have seen it before. I wonder if this is only a tool. It seems to have some of the elements of a throwing axe. Where did you find it?

It's typically called a carpenter's hatchet. You can find one in most USA hardware stores - also, one would think, in the Netherlands.

I'm surprised that nobody on The Walking Dead carries one. They would be very useful in that situation.

Attachment: 17.37 KB
hammer_hatchet2.jpg

Rim Andries

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Rim Andries wrote:

That brings me to your axe. I like it a lot! And I am sure I have seen it before. I wonder if this is only a tool. It seems to have some of the elements of a throwing axe. Where did you find it?

It's typically called a carpenter's hatchet. You can find one in most USA hardware stores - also, one would think, in the Netherlands.

I'm surprised that nobody on The Walking Dead carries one. They would be very useful in that situation.

I never saw one here in Holland, but then again I hardly set foot in a hardware store anyway. That thing would indeed be a nasty tool against humans and zombies alike Wink Not surprised nobody in TWD carries one (though the big afro american guy is pretty fond of his hammer), the show never excelled at being smart. I mean.. drawing a katana from a back scabbard? Happy

Sir Dreamin'
E.F. Magnuson

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love this conversation!

Regarding the 1861 Colt Navy Revolver, although it is a muzzleloading (or cylinder loaded) blackpowder firearm that does not use cartridges I would hesitate to use it because it DOES require Percussion Caps analogous to cartridge primers. I think expecting a ready supply of fulminated mercury or other strike sensitive explosive sandwiched in a copper cap may be a bit of a stretch.

For firearms, I'd go with the previously mentioned Kentucky or similar rifle. Really, I'd be fine with any longarm that fits the following: black power, round or minnie ball (easy to produce), and ignited by flint or pyrite on a striker of some variety. Basically, I'm looking for something that has simple components that are easily replaced or repaired when needed. That being said, as much as I'd love to throw a flint-lock in my kit because it is about the only weapon with which I feel I am truly competent I may have to skip it all together unless I have a ready supply of potassium nitrate and sulfur (charcoal is easy enough) for black powder production.

So, I guess my final selections will be:

Bow of any kind. I can use them well enough and I know with just a little more practice I will be good enough to survive with it.
    Spear, for the same reasons others have already mentioned.
    Long-knife/short-sword in the 18" range. Something long enough for effective combat use but short enough to easily maintain, produce, replace, and carry.

For tools I would have a simple woodcraft knife and a hatchet of any variety. Finally, I would wear at least a pair of lightweight kote style sleeves with splinted spaulders and bracers. If weight were so much an issue I'd like to throw on a jack'o'plates or brigandine as well, but this is survival I want to keep it simple. I'm not looking to fight a war but I do want some level of protection (besides, I think kote would very effective against zombies if that is indeed the threat).

Cheers!

E

In omnibus requiem quaesivi et nusquam inveni, nisi in angulo cum libro.
--Thomas a Kempis
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rim Andries wrote:

I am afraid I cannot allow the machete. Don't get me wrong: you can and should carry it by all means! It is just that I will not count it as a weapon because it is designed as a tool. Now something like a kukri on the other hand, was designed to do both if I am correct.

A lot more people are killed by machetes in this world than any of your so-called "real" weapons. A machete (or something similar like a panga or bolo) would be my absolute first choice. It is one of the most versatile tools ever invented. I have personally used a machete for dispatching game, clearing undergrowth, chopping and splitting wood, digging holes, making spear shafts, as a prybar, scraper, screwdriver, barbeque spatula, and plenty of other things I've forgotten. A machete is a perfectly servicable weapon, as evidenced by all of the people killed and maimed by it, but 99% of the time you want a tool, not a weapon. I would choose a machete as my first choice and any other weapon would be a long second - perhaps a sling and halberd or pollaxe. The next thing I would do is find a spool of wire and make a mail shirt ASAP - even butted links would stop most threats.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books

Last edited by Dan Howard on Mon 05 Jan, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luke Adams

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably not the best equipped for hunting, but I'll go with what I know.

1) Miao Dao/Odachi - spear-length saber ideally with a 1/2 handed grip
2) Crossbow - for long range combat
3) Tanto - for close combat, a throwing knife to use as a distraction, and a blade to carve wooden shafts for crossbow bolts

"God gives the nuts, but he does not crack them."
- German proverb
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Rim Andries wrote:

I am afraid I cannot allow the machete. Don't get me wrong: you can and should carry it by all means! It is just that I will not count it as a weapon because it is designed as a tool. Now something like a kukri on the other hand, was designed to do both if I am correct.

A lot more people are killed by machetes in this world than any of your so-called "real" weapons. A machete (or something similar like a panga or bolo) would be my absolute first choice. It is one of the most versatile tools ever invented. I have personally used them for dispatching game, clearing undergrowth, chopping and splitting wood, digging holes, making spear shafts, a prybar, screwdriver, barbeque spatula, and plenty of other things I've forgotten.

Hmm... I get the feeling you did not read my post(s) completely. I never disputed the effectiveness of the machete in combat. And I am well aware that it has made many victims and continues to do so even today ( I have seen footage of machete battles in the streets of Latin America and they are horrifying) but it is designed as a tool, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Just because cars and their drivers kill hundreds of people on a daily basis, does not make a car a weapon in the strict sense of the word. That is the only reason I will not include it in the list. I would do the same for the baseball bat and the crowbar.

And to be honest the only reason I decided to make the distinction in the first place, was because I was interested in what kind of historical weaponry people would bring to the table and not so much the tools in their shed. Nothing more nothing less. Like you, a machete would be one of the first things I would grab. As matter of fact I think so much of the machete that I included a historical weapon variety of it in my list. And I agree you would want a tool most of the time. That is again why I asked for weapons. I was curious to see how this might affect the choices people made. And I was waiting for hybrid tools/weapons to pop up. They did.

I did not mean to offend you or your choice. Truly. I hope you believe this and refrain from any cynicism ("any of your so-called real weapons") in future posts addressed to me. Cheers.

Ps by the same set of rules I would allow the Bolo, because it is featured heavily in escrima. I know, the same can be said for the machete or you could say that the bolo is nothing more than a type of machete, but then again... the bolo is actually famous for its martial use. This does prove just how blurry the line can get though (and it is even worse with small knives). But the Bolo gets my vote for being original and actually adding something unique to the conversation. Not sure you will agree, but perhaps it helps in understanding my motivations.

Thank you for posting!

Sir Dreamin'

Last edited by Rim Andries on Mon 05 Jan, 2015 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rim Andries wrote:
Hmm... I get the feeling you did not read my post(s) completely. I never disputed the effectiveness of the machete in combat. And I am well aware that it has made many victims and continues to do so even today ( I have seen footage of machete battles in the streets of Latin America and they are horrifying) but it is designed as a tool, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Just because cars and their drivers kill hundreds of people on a daily basis, does not make a car a weapon in the strict sense of the word. That is the only reason I will not include it in the list. I would do the same for the baseball bat and the crowbar. .

The only difference between a tool and a weapon is intent. A weapon IS a tool. If a tool is used to kill someone then, by definition, it is a weapon. As soon as you threaten someone with a screwdriver then it becomes a weapon. If you examine the statistics then a machete is one of the most effective weapons ever invented. Even if we take your argument, there are plenty of machetes specifically made by criminals to be used as weapons. It is a good choice because it can be carried openly - authorities have to prove intent before action can be taken.

That's why these sword banning laws are ridiculous. How do you define a "sword" in any legislation that doesn't include sporting equipment, movie and stage props, wall hanging ornaments, kitchen implements, agriculture tools, etc. If you have a blunt piece of steel shaped like a katana hanging on your wall, is it a weapon? What if you kill an intruder with it? It is intent that matters, not the object. If you deliberately run over someone with your car, that is "assault with a deadly weapon". In my state, if the police catch you late at night skulking around with a long screwdriver then they can arrest you for possession of break-and-enter tools. If you have the same implement during the day on a construction site then they can't. I can carry a fully functional sword on the street so long as I don't ijtend to use it as a weapon. If questioned by the police and I can demonstrate that I am using it for a lawful purpose then it isn't a weapon.

Last edited by Dan Howard on Mon 05 Jan, 2015 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Rim Andries wrote:
Hmm... I get the feeling you did not read my post(s) completely. I never disputed the effectiveness of the machete in combat. And I am well aware that it has made many victims and continues to do so even today ( I have seen footage of machete battles in the streets of Latin America and they are horrifying) but it is designed as a tool, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Just because cars and their drivers kill hundreds of people on a daily basis, does not make a car a weapon in the strict sense of the word. That is the only reason I will not include it in the list. I would do the same for the baseball bat and the crowbar. .

The only difference between a tool and a weapon is intent. A weapon IS a tool. If a tool is used to kill someone then, by definition, it is a weapon. If you examine the statistics then a machete is one of the most effective weapons ever invented. A soon as you thresaten someoine with a screwdriver then it becomes a weapon.

That's why these sword banning laws are ridiculous. How do you define a "sword" in any legislation that doesn't include sporting equipment, movie and stage props, wall hanging ornaments, kitchen implements, agriculture tools, etc.

I agree and disagree at the same time Happy

Of course a weapon is a tool. Tools aid us in achieving certain goals and tasks. Weapons aid us in the act of killing. Thus they are tools of death. Agreed.

And like you said, many tools can become weapons. But there is a difference wouldn't you agree? That is what I mean by strict definition. Just because you weaponize a tool doesn't mean it is really a weapon at the heart of it.

You can kill a man with a pair of scissors . But when you look up scissors in a dictionary it will probably say something about it being a tool to cut hair. You can cut hair with a sword. But when you look up sword in a dictionary it will probably say something about how it was used by men to kill other men.

Sir Dreamin'
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A sword can be collected as an antique, used as a prop on stage or in a cultural dance, wielded in a sporting event, hung on the wall as decoration, etc. In all of these cases the sword is not a weapon. I can carry the same sword - sharpened and bared - openly down the street so long as I can demonstrate to the police that it is being used for a legitimate purpose. It doesn't become a weapon until I tell the cops that I'm carrying it for self defense, in which case it falls under the legislation that covers weaponry. It is all about intent, not the item itself.
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the debate on what is/isn't a weapon and when it is/isn't a weapon really necessary in the context of the thread? Question I think his initial post is pretty clear that he's looking for a lighthearted discussion on what types of historical weapons would be useful in an end-of-days scenario; I find it interesting because it makes you think about weapons in terms of what's actually practical rather than our day-to-day interests, which might instead be what we think is cool. A machete is certainly an extremely practical tool (and weapon, when needs must) but doesn't really make sense in the context of the thread. If we can pick anything that can be used to kill someone, i'll take a swimming pool, a bottle of scotch and a leg of lamb Big Grin
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I am saying is; intend is "instilled" in an object before it ever reaches the hands of a user. That is why so many things took so long to perfect in the first place. Makers are aware of the intend users have and they adjust their objects accordingly.

And if what you are saying is really true on all levels I would have no problem walking the streets with an assault rifle as long as it is not loaded and I state I am doing so because I think it is fashionable, which is not the case. Or I could just as easily place an indian club in the door of my car instead of the small hammer to break the windshield. Also not true.

In the same way I can still have a golfclub in the back of my car, or rather a bag of golfclubs and golfballs, because a single club would already raise questions. Or a tyre iron. Why? Because of what they are associated with.

In my opinion the use of an object only solidifies its intended purpose or gives new direction to it. Just like using a sword to kill a man or hanging it on a wall to look at. Hanging it on the wall does not make it any less a weapon. Not using it as a weapon does NOT change the fact that it was made to be used as one.

Sir Dreamin'

Last edited by Rim Andries on Mon 05 Jan, 2015 5:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Messent wrote:
Is the debate on what is/isn't a weapon and when it is/isn't a weapon really necessary in the context of the thread? Question I think his initial post is pretty clear that he's looking for a lighthearted discussion on what types of historical weapons would be useful in an end-of-days scenario; I find it interesting because it makes you think about weapons in terms of what's actually practical rather than our day-to-day interests, which might instead be what we think is cool. A machete is certainly an extremely practical tool (and weapon, when needs must) but doesn't really make sense in the context of the thread. If we can pick anything that can be used to kill someone, i'll take a swimming pool, a bottle of scotch and a leg of lamb Big Grin

You are correct Peter. Thanks for reminding me why I started this topic in the first place. Could not have said it better myself. Cheers!

Sir Dreamin'
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rim Andries wrote:
What I am saying is; intend is "instilled" in an object before it ever reaches the hands of a user. That is why so many things took so long to perfect in the first place. Makers are aware of the intend users have and they adjust their objects accordingly.

There have been plenty of machetes made by criminals specifically for attacking people. Does it matter if the one I bought at a flea market wasn't? How can I tell the difference?

Rim Andries

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Rim Andries wrote:

There have been plenty of machetes made by criminals specifically for attacking people. Does it matter if the one I bought at a flea market wasn't? How can I tell the difference?

You could perhaps by looking at the blade geometry? Or the point of the blade? The thickness of the edge or the amount of "meat" behind it? I don't know for sure but if criminals made them specifically for attacking people then they would probably be different from your average machete. If they are the same then I am guessing they wanted no evidence of buying one, or spend money on one. They could still be used as a tool (when the cops came looking) and they were familiar with the use/fabrication of one.

Having said that, your criminal machete has now earned a place on the list! Wink

Sir Dreamin'
Tom King

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

SHTF in disarmed countries? I think people will find cross cultural interaction would lead to a lot more "modern" weapons floating around that would previously be thought. Arms traders work fast. Not to mention all the guns that would magically reappear in places like england, australia, germany, etc. once the rule of law is no longer worth the paper it's printed on.

But for the sake of argument I'd probably be busy rationing food and starting up an acre potato farm out of my property and a few adjoining ones. Armament would include my longbow, longsword, baselard, and my 1858 Remington revolver. I guess the aliens spirited away my CX4 carbine, PX4 subcompact, 92fs, Finn M91, M91/30, M44, and 10-22.
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
SHTF in disarmed countries? I think people will find cross cultural interaction would lead to a lot more "modern" weapons floating around that would previously be thought. Arms traders work fast. Not to mention all the guns that would magically reappear in places like england, australia, germany, etc. once the rule of law is no longer worth the paper it's printed on.

But for the sake of argument I'd probably be busy rationing food and starting up an acre potato farm out of my property and a few adjoining ones. Armament would include my longbow, longsword, baselard, and my 1858 Remington revolver. I guess the aliens spirited away my CX4 carbine, PX4 subcompact, 92fs, Finn M91, M91/30, M44, and 10-22.

You never know. The severity of the happening might cause all but 0,1 percent of the population to vanish. It will be hard to establish cross cultural interaction when this is the case.

I have had many discussions about the possible faces of an apocalypse, and they all come down to the same conclusion: we do not know, and anything is possible. Even going back to the stone age, though I admit this is an unlikely option.

Most of the time guns will still be around. And I, carrying my crossbow, will be screwed if I run into you and your 10-22 (nevermind your CX4 carbine) and you feel like hurting me Wink

But that is not what this topic is about. I'm just interested to see what people would bring to the table in terms of historical weaponry. And if you ask me the usefulness of these weapons only increases on the "day after tomorrow". That goes for any weapon really.

Which brings me to the following question; would you say that your longsword and longbow still have a role to play if the aliens left your guns alone Wink I am genuinely curious.

Thanks for posting and I will have a potato please! Cheers!

Sir Dreamin'

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > TEOTWAWKI/SHTF scenario. Your weapons of choice?
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: