Caswell Stainless Steel Blackener
Twelve thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!

Peeved about Hanwei stainless fittings? No problem, if dark grey black is ok, go for it. Matte will look matte, shinier more of a gloss luster. Prep that texture accordingly.

http://www.caswellplating.com/metal-finishing...kener.html

MSDS lists hydrocloric and selenious acids, and copper. Minor skin irritation and fumes. Don't drink the stuff, don't add to eyes. Odorous, fumy.
http://support.caswellplating.com/index.php?/...kener-msds

Shipping is costly. I bought eight ozs of liquid instead of a pint but careful use should yield a lot of coverage for a few projects I have. Dove in first with Q-tips but quickly went with paper towel twisted mops. No prep, as I was not concerned about perfection. Repeat, no prep. A lot of golfers are buying the gel kits but like paste bluing, probably a bit wasteful. Does not seriously affect dyed leather. Will stain a blade quickly. Touted as durable and no sealer required for the liquid (might not hurt to seal some projects). Dab, wipe, dab, wipe. One go for less than half hour more than covered a mortuary hilt and scabbard fittings. Less than an ounce of liquid used for a compound hilt and two scabbard fittings.

Pictures down the road a bit after I have a few jobs done.

In a word....Woot!

Cheers

GC
Thank You Glen! I've been looking (obviously not determinedly enough…) for just such a formula for some time. This will be a great help on an ongoing blade (but not sword) related project. Can't wait to get some and start daubing and wiping!
I darkened mine with linseed oil, in my oven. Like seasoning cast iron. It took 4 or 5 coats but came out nicely.
Here are some shots of the end result. Strange stuff. There is almost a copper hue that shines through in some light that is somewhat deceiving and looks more like rust. I did little prep but scrubbed it vigorously ithis past weekend and took a few shots.. It may be the copper scrubby adding copper but when I first scrubbed with plastics, it was already showing the weird copper effect.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

This is powerful stuff. I have some more items to try, now knowing how some things resond.

Cheers

GC

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: