Good custom arming jacket with attachment points?
I have the GDFB arming jacket for jack chains [ Linked Image ] and it's great for tying on armor, but it's not very well fitted to me and I want to have a properly fitted gambeson before I start moving past munitions grade armor.
Could anyone be so kind as to link a site of a group or company with reasonable prices that can make an arming jacket or gambeson with attachment points, preferably something that isn't going to lift up when I raise my arms above my chest.
Thank you in advance ^_^
I've looked around, but my experience is that people here are far more knowledgable than a few google searches.
I would recommend you the one from Historic Enterprises. I haven't used it with much armour yet (acquiring all those parts is a long process) but the jacket itself feels wonderful. It will be very well fitted to you and you there's arming points all over it. You can also add a whole bunch of points to use with mail.

Link
Emil Andersson wrote:
I would recommend you the one from Historic Enterprises. I haven't used it with much armour yet (acquiring all those parts is a long process) but the jacket itself feels wonderful. It will be very well fitted to you and you there's arming points all over it. You can also add a whole bunch of points to use with mail.

Link

That's the second recommendation for these guy's I've gotten, so i'll definitely look into it, thanks ^_^
Make that a third reccommendation.
HE is a good product...had one and then I lost enough weight that I had to get something new (not the fault of the product I dropped a bit over 50 lbs of body mass). I now have a jacket from Matuls. Its also a very good product, main difference is that its custom fitted to me, not off the peg as the HE jacket is. The Matuls jacket also has just a bit more padding than the HE jacket which might or might not matter to you. I have the arming doublet type 3 in red fabric. There are also several other options they make and turn time is fast!

http://www.matuls.pl/index.php?Lng=en

Out of Poland. Speak English. Very easy to work with. Good product! Can't go wrong with these guys of with HE IMO.
The HE garment is excellent, and it's not 100% off-the-rack. It is cut to custom measurements from a pattern, so it will fit you very well.

However, judging by your avatar, you seem to be a 13th century guy... The HE garment is very specifically a mid to late 15th century arming doublet, and is not appropriate for a maille harness of the 13th century. A more accurate gambeson for 13th century crusader impressions would be something more like these padded gambesons designed to be worn beneath a hauberk.

http://www.gambeson.pl/medieval-on-line-shop/...13-c2.html

or this

http://matuls.pl/index.php?IDP=1&Lng=en&a...ategoria=6
Ian S LaSpina wrote:
The HE garment is excellent, and it's not 100% off-the-rack. It is cut to custom measurements from a pattern, so it will fit you very well.

However, judging by your avatar, you seem to be a 13th century guy... The HE garment is very specifically a mid to late 15th century arming doublet, and is not appropriate for a maille harness of the 13th century. A more accurate gambeson for 13th century crusader impressions would be something more like these padded gambesons designed to be worn beneath a hauberk.

http://www.gambeson.pl/medieval-on-line-shop/...13-c2.html

or this

http://matuls.pl/index.php?IDP=1&Lng=en&a...ategoria=6

Thanks ^_^ I appreciate the help. I'm starting to build an early to mid 14th century kit, so i'm looking for something from around that time frame. I'm not terribly picky though, and I won't cry if the gambeson I use is an entire century off as long as it works without sending my wallet into the gutter. I would prefer being accurate, but if the piece is bad...it's bad. I can make a historically inaccurate gambeson work, but I can't make a badly made one work. (not saying that the ones you linked are bad, i'm just saying in general)
Also, for a custom piece, you would do well with Jessica Finley at Fuhlen Designs:

http://fuhlendesigns.com/
You might check out www.gambeson.pl and www.medieval-market.com, they are both based out of Poland and seem to be good quality. They have a variety of gambesons and other arming garments. You can choose the padding material, how many layers, and whether you want it machine or hand sewn as well.

If you needed something truly custom, try shooting them an email.

Last edited by Ian Hutchison on Wed 03 Jul, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian Hutchison wrote:
You might check out www.gambeson.pl and www.medieval-market.com, they are both based out of Poland and seem to be good quality and have a variety of gambesons and other arming garments. You can choose the padding material, how many layers and whether you want it machine or hand sewn as well.

Thanks, il be sure to check them both out ^_^
Ian Hutchison wrote:
You might check out www.gambeson.pl and www.medieval-market.com, they are both based out of Poland and seem to be good quality and have a variety of gambesons and other arming garments. You can choose the padding material, how many layers and whether you want it machine or hand sewn as well.

I have a 13th century gambeson from medieval-market. They ask you to provide very detailed body measurements and they certainly make good use of them. The gambeson fits me like a second skin, to the point where it almost takes an assistant to remove, but provides complete freedom of arm movement because of the armpit and shoulder tailoring. When I raise my arms to a striking position the torso area mostly stays put, shifting maybe 1 inch at the most.

They can sew arming points onto any gambeson they sell, and they also sell them individually for a very cheap price so you can stitch them yourself. I highly recommend Medieval-Market for good arming clothes.
my supplier
i bought my arming jack from a guy who works with the knights of skirbeck, he does great work too, it fits perfectly and if it's not exactly what you were expecting he'll alter it as needed, so far he's added 8 points to it (4 on each arm) to make my vambraces and raerbraces attatch without slipping down my arms, and when i showed him a burst seam he assured me it was inferior thread from when he had run out of the "proper stuff" and repaired it right infront of me with 4 stitches, just to be certain it wouldn't break again, and it was the cheapest job i have seen, i think he does caps too.
honestly, i cannot recommend him highly enough, if you look for the knights of skirbeck, in boston, lincolnshire, england, and ask about Michael Wood, they'll be able to direct you to him and he'll get you sorted :)
http://store.fastcommerce.com/icefalcon/armin...185-c.html
Ice falcon makes a nice gambeson, I've had mine for a few years and it's held up well, and fits correctly.

-Matt

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: