Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sources for a quality reproduction spontoon (18th century) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Sources for a quality reproduction spontoon (18th century)         Reply with quote

Does anyone know anyone who produces a quality spontoon?

regards

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try G Gedny Godwin: http://www.gggodwin.com/catalog.htm . They list the very spontoon which you show in the attachment for $250. Everything I have ever gotten from them has been of the highest quality, and I have never heard anything but good things about the company, so you would probably be well served by them.

Good luck,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Rifle Shoppe sells a cast version of this very spontoon for $70. The ground point is sold separately for $11. I bought one several years ago. The head comes in two parts (blade and socket) that will need to be threaded by a machinist so they will screw together. The parts are rough cast, so you may need to clean them up with some sandpaper and files.

Here is their link: http://www.therifleshoppe.com/Catalog.htm

Mine is for sale. It is used, and mounted on a pole with a total overall length of 76" (on the short side for a spontoon, but handy when packing in a vehicle for reenactments). I am asking $85 plus shipping. Due to it's length, shipping costs may be high, which is why I had planned on selling it at a reenactment rather than posting it on line, but let me know if you are interested.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you tried using the spontoon against any kind of target? How does the quality of the materiels strike you? What's the size (diameter) of the threaded stud?
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The spontoons from The Rifle Shoppe are "as cast", so they have not had any heat treating or tempering. Since my spontoon is for reenactments, I did not feel the need to have this done, or to sharpen the blade. The quality of the castings are pretty good in my opinion, and I believe there would be no problem hardening the blade, if that were desired.

Also, if you buy anything from the Rifle Shoppe, know that you will need to spend some time filing and sanding it. The spontoon I got did not have the socket or the stud threaded. When I had this done at a local machine shop, they added brazing to the stud to build it up a bit in size before they cut the threading. This makes for a tighter fit when screwed into the socket, and is not visible when the head is assembled.

All in all, the spontoons from the Rifle Shoppe are the most accurate copies I have found. They take some work to turn into the final product, but you have something that looks right when you are done.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Adam Lloyd

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second G. Gedney Godwin as well. They have excellent products for good prices

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sources for a quality reproduction spontoon (18th century)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic