Seeking reccomendations for SCA Heavy gauntlets.
Good afternoon,

I am aware this topic has been broached before, but from my reading, not for a few years.

I have a somewhat new twist on the topic, though, as my armor styling is largely pre 1100's. I currently use Red Dragon HEMA gloves under hardened leather. The problem is, every time I'm struck, it hurts like blazes, and after being hammered for several hours, my hands are useless to God and man with the pain.

I've held several examples of metal and plastic clamshells, but when struck, many of them, due to a lack of padding, were even worse.

What do you fine folks use? What would you recommend, for a dane-axe fighter who is tired of bruised, pummeled hands?
These have had some great reviews over on the Armour Archive, consensus seems to be that they will take a few months of casual fighting, or about a week of constant wear to break in and articulate as smoothly as they're supposed to. But all in all, these are, allegedly, amazing.

http://ageofcraft.com/index.php?route=product...uct_id=123

http://ageofcraft.com/index.php?route=product...uct_id=124

I am a bit unsure on the wisby fingers, since I've heard tales of woe about non-grounding finger gauntlets, but they are, supposedly, just as good.
I went through similar troubles when I did SCA combat. Egg gauntlets worked for me but some don't like them. You may want to try a pair of finger gauntlets deeper than your own hand and fingers. The idea is that the armor rests on your axe haft and your fingers float between the haft and the armor. Same idea for the hand. The gauntlets can be hidden under something so they don't look silly holding the Dane axe. I never tried them myself, but I know a few guys who fought polearm that swore by it.
I’d check out Mad Matt’s Wisby Fingermittens (blackened). I’ve heard good things, but have no personal experience.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: