Testing Alvin Alejandro Atencio made DS
http://youtu.be/9sJyUYr6sfo
Testing out the second Alvin-made DS. The first one came dull and with a twisted blade. The first one also suffered microchip after test cutting on wet newspapers. So after some communication with the smith, it was sent back to him. He made me a new, better one.

The second one features a sharp blade out of the box, straight and good. It's made very accurately to the spec., except the guard being several mm shallower. It's definitely the most accurate DS I've received so far, and the lightest among the three-some.

However, the hardness isn't very high compare to the Tinker-made and John Lundemo-made one, spotting low at 40 HRC to high at below 55HRC. Edge got dulled after test cutting on newspapers. No microchip this time. It's acceptable to me, at the given price and shipping time. I don't expect a super sword at that cost.

One interesting note is that the blade has a hole in it that was filled with a harder steel. Strange huh? I don't think it will affect functionality, and I think it's from the leaf-spring application of the steel. Just the first time I saw something like this though.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Is this a sword design that you own? Just curious because I am not sure the other smiths would approve if it's their design...

As for the filled hole in the steel, it should not affect functionality in any manner that you would notice if it has been done well. The welded area around it might be slightly stiffer than the rest, but if the blade was well annealed after the welding was done and re-tempered, it should not have been an issue.
Yes, I own the design.

Thanks for the confirmation on the steel weld.

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Is this a sword design that you own? Just curious because I am not sure the other smiths would approve if it's their design...

As for the filled hole in the steel, it should not affect functionality in any manner that you would notice if it has been done well. The welded area around it might be slightly stiffer than the rest, but if the blade was well annealed after the welding was done and re-tempered, it should not have been an issue.
Lancelot Chan wrote:
Yes, I own the design.

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:

Lancelot,

I think it is a pretty neat idea to have the same sword design produced by different smiths, it would be interesting to compare the various outcomes!
Oh definitely! And the quality and the characteristics of each smith still show in this "high accuracy" project, because the specification was very exact. :D It's a big test of "grind-fu", in addition to heat treatment control.

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Lancelot Chan wrote:
Yes, I own the design.

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:

Lancelot,

I think it is a pretty neat idea to have the same sword design produced by different smiths, it would be interesting to compare the various outcomes!
http://youtu.be/guMT3dwo1r8
Combining fast and slow motion, testing with Alvin DS with single handed techniques.
http://youtu.be/nyoqEeoBpgw
Bamboo cutting
http://youtu.be/e_8X_AgtXNk

Testing Alvin DS in doing single handed leg cuts. Only 3 were successfully cut through. The sword's lighter weight and balance, plus the higher flexibility contributed to this.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: