Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Search for Specific Medieval Hilt-Type Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tobi S.

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Search for Specific Medieval Hilt-Type         Reply with quote

Hey there,
I'm new here and don't know, if my question is already answered in a different thread (I apologize, if it is) , but several quick searches didn't bring any results so far.
I'm searching for a very specific type of medieval hilts. This type has an flat disc-shaped pommel (Oakeshott Type G) and a tang, which rises over the top of the pommel. A protruding tang is very common for swords with pommels of Oakeshott Type I-K (see picture 1 for an example from Bonn, Germany) , but I can't find examples for Oakeshott Type G, except one sword from a collection in Paris (see picture 2).
So here is my question: Do you know any analogies in the 13th and 14th centuries?
Thanks,
Tobi
P.S. Sorry for the horrible English, I'm not a native speaker...

Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Search for Specific Medieval Hilt-Type         Reply with quote

I am not quite sure what type of hilt that these swords originally had, Tobi.
Maybe there's somebody here in this forum who can help you identify their hilts.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think he's asking about hilts that, put short, combine a simple type G disk pommel with a peen block.

And he's right, those are rare indeed - if they exist at all! I can't think of a single one myself. As far as I know, type G pommels faded from popularity before peen blocks became a thing. Even the one pictured in the opening post probably did not have a peen block, IMO; as far as I can tell, the pommel has simply shifted down due to corrosion and thus exposed the end of the tang, which was originally peened flush with the pommel (like on all historical type G pommels I know of).

But, more likely than not, the very moment I say type G pommels did not have peen blocks, someone will post a picture of such a thing. So the most I'm willing to say is that I've never seen one myself. Happy

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Cerjak JL

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Search for Specific Medieval Hilt-Type         Reply with quote

Tobi S. wrote:
Hey there,
I'm new here and don't know, if my question is already answered in a different thread (I apologize, if it is) , but several quick searches didn't bring any results so far.
I'm searching for a very specific type of medieval hilts. This type has an flat disc-shaped pommel (Oakeshott Type G) and a tang, which rises over the top of the pommel. A protruding tang is very common for swords with pommels of Oakeshott Type I-K (see picture 1 for an example from Bonn, Germany) , but I can't find examples for Oakeshott Type G, except one sword from a collection in Paris (see picture 2).
So here is my question: Do you know any analogies in the 13th and 14th centuries?
Thanks,
Tobi
P.S. Sorry for the horrible English, I'm not a native speaker...

Hi Tobi

I own one great war sword type XII with type J or G pommel "with a tang, which rises over the top of the pommel"
See below pics.
best
Cerjak

Attachment: 46.58 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 36.77 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 73.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 50.6 KB
[ Download ]
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That doesn't look like a type G pommel to me, but it is a very attractive piece!
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, that's a very clear Type J. (And a very nice one, too. Happy)

The Type G is the simplest of the wheel pommel forms, just a plain disk, often with slightly convex or concave faces. No chamfered edges or raised centers.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is one...

Attachment: 69.08 KB
[ Download ]
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that one might be an R.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I first thought so also, but after some time looking at it I decided I think it's a G. But still, it might be an R. We would have to see other angles. Here is the complete sword: https://www.facebook.com/195698570567502/photos/pcb.530671880403501/530671817070174/?type=1&theater
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting, in the full length picture it appears it might be a disk with radically convex faces.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Search for Specific Medieval Hilt-Type
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic