Different lance grips in the painting/fresco of San Romano
I recently had a quick look at a book on Italian renaissance art and the Battle of San Romano was one of the paintings shown in this book. However what I noticed this time is that the way a lance is held during a charge seems to differ between panels.

Picture 1: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...Uffizi.jpg

Here the hand is placed behind the lance rest and graper, it looks somewhat awkward though.

Picture 2: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...%29_01.jpg

Here the lance is held at the narrow bit of the lance located a little ahead of the graper and in some cases the graper is absent altogether.

Does anyone have an explanation for the different lance grips depicted in this painting?
I was just pondering the same question.
Also the grappers are shown in different positions on the lances.
I have been gathering some of the images in question and will come back and post them here.
I have no idea, but I'm just as curious as you are. Maybe one of the jousters in this forum would care to weigh in?
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
I have no idea, but I'm just as curious as you are. Maybe one of the jousters in this forum would care to weigh in?

Where is Gordon when you need him :)
No jousters in sight yet. :\
You can hold the lance whatever way you like, whatever gets the job done... but if you are delivering a blow at speed having your hand behind the graper will probably do you some damage. Shocks to right hand, wrist and elbow are the most common injuries we get but thats if not using an arret.

Yours,

a jouster :-)
Mark Griffin wrote:
You can hold the lance whatever way you like, whatever gets the job done... but if you are delivering a blow at speed having your hand behind the graper will probably do you some damage. Shocks to right hand, wrist and elbow are the most common injuries we get but thats if not using an arret.

Yours,

a jouster :-)

Thanks for the reply,

Do you have any idea why they are using two different lance grips in the painting? Is there any science behind using the more dangerous grip?
none that spring to mind, unless its to lengthen your reach but that doesn't seem credible. I suppose I shall have to get out there, find a dragon/knightly opponant and ask them to help out with some tests....
Mark Griffin wrote:
none that spring to mind, unless its to lengthen your reach but that doesn't seem credible. I suppose I shall have to get out there, find a dragon/knightly opponant and ask them to help out with some tests....

I heard Smaug is available when the third hobbit movie enters post production, call him. ;)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: