Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bronze Sword Festival - Cornwall, Sept 2005 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Bronze Sword Festival - Cornwall, Sept 2005         Reply with quote

I noticed that Matthew Amt posted the following link on SFI, and thought that it might be of interest here:

http://www.bronze-age-craft.com/swordfest.htm

This looks like an interesting event, with some qualifiers:

(a) I don't know anything about these people (any comments out there??)
(b) Southeastern Cornwall is a bit out of the way for those of us on this side of the pond;
(c) I wonder what kind of junky bronze "sword" I would be able to make for my klutzy self over the course of a 2 day seminar.

Might be fun, though. I am toying around with the idea of attending, and inviting my archaeologist son-in-law (who lives in York). Probably a more practical way to get a bronze sword is to just buy one!!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bronze age weapons manufacturing has always intrigued me. This sounds like a worthwhile experience and I'd attend if I could.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Very Interresting indeed..         Reply with quote

Hm very interresting Steve

Maybe I'll go

If you do look around some more on the site you'l find more workshops on different dates spread around the southern part of England..

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, did anyone of our forumites attend this event? If so, what feedback?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Folkert van Wijk

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: No         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
So, did anyone of our forumites attend this event? If so, what feedback?

No I am sorry Steve I didn't, to much other stuff going on... Worried
Maybe someone else?

Folkert van Wijk

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Besides it whas fully booked ones I started to think about it seriously.
But on the list on their there website you can see that Jeroen Z(uiderwijk) did go...
And he is obviously an myArmoury forumite...

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup, I did go, and it was a fantastic experience! I've written a review and photos on this site:
http://1500bc.com/bronze_sword_festival_2005/index.html

Next year there'll be another sword festival. If you want to go, keep an eye on it as it will be booked full fast. Most people that went last year already agreed on going again, so I'll expect there'll be few extra spaces left.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeroen. I had actually stumbled into the 1500bc.com... site late yesterday. From the photos, it seems that it was a wonderful, hands-on event, and held at a beautiful location.

I only noticed two pictures that actually showed much of the swords - one showing the cooling of the antenna hilt, and the other showing (I suppose) some work on a blade tip. Not much detail shown. Do you have any close up photos? I am sure they would be of great interest to those on the forum, here. In particular, did you make a sword? And, if so, what did you (try to?) make? Are you satisfied with the results? After only a few days at the festival, I imagine that you would not have a truly finished piece, and would have more work to do.

Also, I noticed the mention of the Egtved Girl presentation, and followed that link to Anni Brøgger's site. I found just enough information there to inspire some curiosity, but not enough to give the story away. Would you care to tell us something about that?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Thanks, Jeroen. I had actually stumbled into the 1500bc.com... site late yesterday. From the photos, it seems that it was a wonderful, hands-on event, and held at a beautiful location.

I only noticed two pictures that actually showed much of the swords - one showing the cooling of the antenna hilt, and the other showing (I suppose) some work on a blade tip. Not much detail shown. Do you have any close up photos? I am sure they would be of great interest to those on the forum, here. In particular, did you make a sword? And, if so, what did you (try to?) make? Are you satisfied with the results? After only a few days at the festival, I imagine that you would not have a truly finished piece, and would have more work to do.

The antenna hilted sword was not part of the actual festival, but something a few of us did seperately at Neil's place. I have one of those, but I haven't done any work on it yet. The sword from the festival can be found here:
http://1500bc.com/bronzeage/bronzes/nf_leafblade_sword_4_eng.html
It's not completely finished yet, but the main parts are there. The festival swords where cast before the event, and handed out in unfinished state to the participants. During the festival there were casting experiments as well, attempting to do the casting in authentic clay moulds. That wasn't succesful yet, but intereresting nonetheless, especially as virtually nobody has tried it in modern times.

As for the quality of the swords, they are absolutely supurb. The swords Neil make are excellent reproductions of the bronze age Ewart Park type sword. And his swords are as good as the best of the originals. And the swords he made for the festival were the best IMO he's made so far.

Quote:
Also, I noticed the mention of the Egtved Girl presentation, and followed that link to Anni Brøgger's site. I found just enough information there to inspire some curiosity, but not enough to give the story away. Would you care to tell us something about that?
Do you mean general information on Egtved Girl, or Anni's representation?
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
......As for the quality of the swords, they are absolutely supurb. The swords Neil make are excellent reproductions of the bronze age Ewart Park type sword. And his swords are as good as the best of the originals. And the swords he made for the festival were the best IMO he's made so far.
Looks fabulous Exclamation Thanks for the additional link - in process photos always help me a great deal.

Quote:
I am curious about both, really.
- Sir Toby Belch
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
I am curious about both, really.
Egtved girl is one of the oak coffin grave finds from denmark, dating to the bronze age. She was found with all her clothing intact, including the (in)famous string skirt (see photos from my visit to the National Museum in Copenhagen: http://membres.lycos.fr/bronzeage/, under "bronze age mound burials"). When she was found in the 19th century, her rather revealing clothing caused quite a stir Happy It's believed it's a sort of fertility dress. She also wore a bronze sun-disc around her waist. The sun is often depicted in Scandinavian art, sometimes being drawn by a horse or carried on a ship. So it's thought that these people regarded the sun as a god. Bronze figurines of women in string skirts are found with the women in atlethic poses, possibly displaying them dancing. Anni interprets this as a fertility dance, and performs this dance using very accurate reproductions of the original clothing. She also tells a story about what this dance may have meant to these people. Her interpretation is of course her own, but it's all matches archeological evidence, and is IMO quite an interesting way of bringing Egtved girl back to life.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So for those interested, the site for the next Bronze Sword Festival in 2006 is online:
http://www.bronze-age-craft.com/swordfest2006.htm

However if you do plan on going, I recommend booking fast. There's now only 3 places left, and it's only been up for a few days!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bronze Sword Festival - Cornwall, Sept 2005
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic