Muster Rolls/Array Lists during the Wars of the Roses
Good-Day good Folks,

a while back when I was still at University I read both Goodmans "The Wars of the Roses" and Boardmans "The Medieval soldier in the Wars of the Roses" and I remember one of them giving some insights into how people during that period were a) supposed to be armed (by law) and b) actually armed. It gave some rather detailed anecdotal reports about the personal armouries of some of the citizens.

However I can't for the life of me remember which of these books contained the information I'm after. I no longer have access to the University Library I found those at - well mostly I don't have the time to go searching for them there, it's not exactly close by - and before I go off buying either (or both) of them just for one piece of information I'm after (and the source it is linked to) I thought someone here might have the book at hand and check this for me.

The information which of the works contains what I'm after would actually be enough if anyone happens to know.
The one most people cite and by far the most detailed that I've come across is the Bridport Muster. It lists names and the equipment everyone brought. It's published in the Royal Armouries yearbook volume 2 I think.

Keep in mind though that it is not a muster for men going to war. The dates given for the muster taking place is a few days after the French raided Sandwich, so they are probably the local townsfolk getting their equipment in order in case they are attacked next.

This Website has a record of troops from Coventry raised meet thee king at St. Albans, but it only generally describes their equipment.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: