Unknown dagger
Hello to all forum members.
For years I have this dagger which my father found on top of wooden beam in some old house. Since I'm from Croatia and this dagger was found in place that was under Turkish in Ottoman wars - I suspect it's from Turkish infantry.
I need your opinion about that. As you can see from the images, it's 24 cm long and its handle and blade aren't bent or broken. Only wood (maybe leather?) is missing from inside the handle. The blade is quite sharp and there are markings on it - I guess it's blacksmiths signature (?).
Can someone help me with this dagger? How old is it, is it from Turkish infantry?

Thanks in advance

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Unknown dagger
I am not sure how old is this dagger, Marijan. But I think there's someone in this forum who can verify its age.
[ Linked Image ]
Hello countryman! :) I can't help you with the age of this dagger, but the stars and moons on it are probably symbolic decoration rather than makers mark... Nice find anyway... If it is really Turkish and left in Croatia after they left, than it must be at least 300 years old... On the other hand, we did adopt some turkish designs for our own equipment, so it might be a Croatian dagger... Hajduk or Krajišnik might be likely to adopt a weapon similar to Turkish...
Luka Borscak wrote:
Hello countryman! :) I can't help you with the age of this dagger, but the stars and moons on it are probably symbolic decoration rather than makers mark... Nice find anyway... If it is really Turkish and left in Croatia after they left, than it must be at least 300 years old... On the other hand, we did adopt some turkish designs for our own equipment, so it might be a Croatian dagger... Hajduk or Krajišnik might be likely to adopt a weapon similar to Turkish...

Hello! :D
This dagger was found in city of Koprivnica (hajduci, krajišnici?? :eek: ).Well, if someone knows, please help - this dagger is bothering me for years....
Marijan Kamenjasevic wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

This dagger was found in city of Koprivnica (hajduci, krajišnici?? :eek: ).Well, if someone knows, please help - this dagger is bothering me for years....

Well, Koprivnica isn't really a place where Hajduks were active, but it was a part of "Vojna Krajina" after it was liberated from the Turks. But this way its all guessing, you should show it to one of the museums, Stari Grad in Varaždin (I'm from Varaždin), Povijesni Muzej Zagreb, Museum of Koprivnica... If you come to Varaždin, we could go to Stari Grad together, I would love to see this dagger in person... :)
Luka Borscak wrote:
Marijan Kamenjasevic wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

Well, Koprivnica isn't really a place where Hajduks were active, but it was a part of "Vojna Krajina" after it was liberated from the Turks. But this way its all guessing, you should show it to one of the museums, Stari Grad in Varaždin (I'm from Varaždin), Povijesni Muzej Zagreb, Museum of Koprivnica... If you come to Varaždin, we could go to Stari Grad together, I would love to see this dagger in person... :)

Since my wife is from Varazdin, I'm there once a month. We'll get in touch. I'll send you PM. :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: