Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > For all of you viking fiction fans....... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW, I have read Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy and the first two of his Last Kingdon series as well as some of his Archer books. My only gripe is his unrelenting hostility toward the Christian religion. I can only speculate as to what has made him so hostile to Christianity. BTW, do any of you remember the name of Uhtred's longship? It is called the Fyrdraca, the name of the Longship Company's old longship, now resident in Missouri. Small world, huh?

I also tried to read his Starbuck series on the American War Between the States. He can no more write from the insular point of view of the average Confederate than could Thomas Keneally* in his book, Confederates. I gave up on both of them.

* Author of Schindler's List, among other books.

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I completely agree about his anti-Christian take on things......it gets kinda old. That is one of the reasons I said I probably wouldn't get along with most of his characters in real life, but they are still rather fun to read about! Big Grin
Wa biğ şam şe sceal of langoşe leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying that i do not mean to offend anyone with what i say, although, it no doubt has the ability to do so.

This is all my own opinion, and may well be full of historical inaccuracies.

I suspect that Bernard Cornwell's anti-christian anglings (I've never felt this myself) is merely him using real events, which the church orchastrated which were (quite frankly) evil atrosities. I may be mistaken by what you mean, but the evil christian characters are explainable by that. The bad dominicans in the Grail Quest series is because they were genuinely hunting and destroying the Cathars (Thomas' predecessors). Aside from in that and the Alfred the Great series (where the anti christian feeling is because at the time the church was new and different, and then the church is one of the enemies of the vikings(at first at least) which means that the character cannot really be pro christian).

My personal feeling about the Grail Quest series is that it's a story about a man trying to find god.

"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Martin on the religious issue. Most of the christian characters are viewed from the perspective of those who are not neccesarily christians themselves, or as in the case of the Grail Quest trilogy based upon events of the time. While I consider myself a christian I don't see Bernard Cornwell as having any particular axe to grind with religion.
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me chime in here please, and agree with Patrick. In all of Bernard Cornwells books, and I believe I may have
missed just one of his modern sail boat adventures, it's not Christians that Mr. Cornwell skewers but rather
those hypocrites who hid or wrapped themselves in undeserved aegis of piety.
The "Mouse Lord" for one was no Christian as I understand it but Derfel, even in his lack of sincerety did a better
job at being one.

I see no attack in this,

Doug
Axel Pettersson

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sincerely hope that all the Viking fans out htere have not missed Swedish Author Frans G. Bengtssons classic :"The Longships" (Swedish title Röde Orm, translating into Red Serpent, which is the name of the main character), my absolute favourite viking novel. The way Bengtsson combines the brutal reality of Viking life with a disarming and fresh humour is to me the perfect blend in telling the story of my ancestors, highly recommended
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much to,

-Hugh,
For your opinion regarding Poul Anderson, very helpful;

-Axel,
For the information about Bengtsson's work.

Jean,
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My opinion of Cornwell's anti-Christian attitude was first formed while reading his Warlord series. His portrayal of the Early Christian Church in Britain was unnecessarily harsh and unremittingly negative. For a balance, try Jack Whyte's take on the Chiurch in the same era, especially on Germannus and on Pelagianism.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > For all of you viking fiction fans.......
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: