Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sorrells Katana Hastings Tsuba F/K Lohman Menuki Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Sorrells Katana Hastings Tsuba F/K Lohman Menuki         Reply with quote

This isn't a reproduction of an existing piece, but I thought people might enjoy looking at it. If this post needs to be moved to another forum, please do so.

I contacted Walter Sorrells about commissioning a katana for me this past March. I've had the sword for about two weeks but only now have gotten some pictures. This was made from folded 1050 and 1095 steel I believe. Walter also makes blades from monosteel and from his own tamahagane. This folded blade fits in the middle price-wise and time I suppose.

I wanted a nice but not flashy hamon and a subtle, elegant and "working" style altogether. I wanted a type of blade and fittings that would reward close attention and something that draws a viewer in, rather than something ostentatious at first glance. I think he nailed it. I also wanted a pebble finish on the saya, and you can see the "cha irishime" finish in a very nice brown. Also, the shinogi-zukuri blade shape was important to me, since it is perhaps a bit more complex and fits with this classic style overall.

This blade is intended for solo iai practice and cutting, but I need to work my way back to this after a hiatus. When I get some good photos of tameshigiri, I might add them to this thread.

Working with Mr. Sorrells for my first major commissioned work was a very good experience for me and I can only highly recommend him and his work. His website is http://waltersorrellsblades.com/ He also has a number of educational videos on Youtube and his site that further explain various aspects of Japanese sword making, etc.

Attachment: 160.13 KB
IMG_2764 (640x427).jpg

Attachment: 109.38 KB
IMG_2769 (640x427).jpg

Attachment: 118.42 KB
IMG_2766 (640x427) (541x319).jpg

Attachment: 106.27 KB
IMG_2782 (640x427) (640x301).jpg

Last edited by J. Nicolaysen on Mon 10 Nov, 2014 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Fittings         Reply with quote

For the fittings, I wanted to continue with an understated but elegant and classic approach. I feel lucky that I was able to get a set of Tsuba, Fuchi and Kashira through another person which were made by Patrick Hastings. The "Musashi" style tsuba and "Higo" style f/k are a great setup. I didn't take a very good picture of these, so I'm including one from the person I bought the set from, and two pictures of the overall tsuka.

I thought I could have Patrick make a type of menuki that would go along with it all, but it didn't work out this time. I found a great set that I think really goes along with this swords' directness but also close study from Fred Lohman, a very nice arrow or Yanone motif.

Patrick Hastings' website is http://www.taganearts.com/ and Fred's is http://www.japanese-swords.com/. Fred was very generous with his time and assistance. He sent the menuki directly to Walter, who finished the assembly.

Also, you can see the quality of rayskin that Walter found for the tsuka. There are more pictures I have, including some progress pics from Walter, but this should give an idea of the very nice set. I've got a sageo and sword bag on order,but here it is for now.

Attachment: 150.93 KB
1 - IzknvFu (474x640).jpg
Hastings Tsuba, Fuchi, Kashira

Attachment: 152.9 KB
IMG_2767 (640x427).jpg

Attachment: 145.86 KB
IMG_2772 (640x427).jpg

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautifully accomplished.

I personally think there are few sword-types that can capture " violent elegance " the
way a Japanese Sword does ...
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's really hard for me to get a good full shot, and my pics certainly don't do it justice. I'll try for some better ones and see if any work. Hamon is really hard for me to get, and the lines of the kissaki and shinogi.

In the meantime, here are two blade shots that Walter took. He has a few more on his FB page https://www.facebook.com/WalterSorrellsBlades

Attachment: 72.11 KB
blade1 (640x360).jpg

Attachment: 63.66 KB
blade2 (640x360).jpg

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's beautiful. The hada and hamon are striking. Katana fascinate, but I've never had the money to buy a good one nor the time to learn all the terms associated with them Happy
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sorrells Katana Hastings Tsuba F/K Lohman Menuki
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic