Scottish Basket Hilt
G'day all.

I attended a militaria auction on the weekend and purchased my first sword (I've been a collector for over 2 decades now, but this is my first sword)

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some more light on it for me. It was labeled as a Scottish Basket Hilt with Queen Victoria Blade.

Attachment: 81.38 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 87.54 KB
2.jpg

Attachment: 101.78 KB
3.jpg

Attachment: 117.31 KB
4.jpg

Attachment: 82.77 KB
5.jpg

Attachment: 65.8 KB
6.jpg

Attachment: 86.71 KB
7.jpg

Attachment: 93.05 KB
8.jpg

What you have there is an 1828 pattern basket hilt. However, this sword is an Indian-made copy. The etching is of low quality as the sword appears to be over all. The 1828 pattern was the last major change in the military issue basket hilt although there have been many minor variations made since that time. The first sword I ever bought was one of these and I still have it. I removed the basket liner and it actually looks much better without it. However, if you decide to do that, be extremely careful unscrewing the pommel because that action can cause a broken tang on some of the less expensive versions.

The swords are still being made, are available through many retail outlets and have no collector's value other than, as you and I have done, starting one's collection.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: