DIY one handed XV type.
Hello everyone.
I'm looking for some swordsmithing advice. I'm currently forging a one handed sword from what seems to be 1770 steel and I'm approaching the grinding stage. However I'm trying to forge it out as much as possible, so the grinding is just making everything straight and smooth, rather than heavy stock removal. My main concern is the distal taper of the blade.
It starts as 7,5mm thick and tapers down to 3. Thing is that the taper is not equally distributed. As you can see from the picture, there are the various thickness variations throughout the blade.
I think that the 6 to 5mm transaction is too rapid and that I should thin the blade more towards the guard, making the step more gradual. Same counts for the 4 to 3mm section, as the blade is too "regular" for too "long".
What are your thoughts?

[ Linked Image ]
I would make the 6mm to 5mm transaction a bit more gradual, as you said. Otherwise, leave it, clean up the profile and grind the cross section before doing any more thinning, it's actually pretty good right now and shouldn't get thinner, so be careful. Once the blade geometry is ground, you will have a much better idea of how the blade feels and flexes. If there are any dead spots then, you can eliminate them. Right now, it's hard to tell, even with the blade in hand.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: