1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword marking
G'day All, I'm new to this forum and have a query about a 1796 pattern HC Sword that I'm looking at buying.

The only marking I can find on the sword and scabbard is on the back of the blade and appears to say RD. I've attached the pictures I took, please excuse my feet!

I was hoping someone might be an SME and be able to tell me if it's genuine? What is the marking? Any information at all really.

Thanks in advance,

Cameron

Attachment: 79.11 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 247.26 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 188.55 KB
[ Download ]
1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword marking
[ Linked Image ]
I am not sure whether this sword is genuine or fake despite the marking, Cameron.
But I think there's someone in this forum who can prove its authenticity.
The only thing that springs to mind is Royal Dragoons. They certainly use that most fearsome of weapons being heavy cavalry. I'd expect a regimental number there too but maybe it's worn off.

http://www.1stroyaldragoons.org/

for pics of me and my lot in action with said sword.
Thankyou for the replies! If I manage to win it at auction today I'll take more photos!

Again, thankyou!

Cameron
The patina looks genuine to me. One good way to distinguish repros which have been aged is to check the distal taper. The genuine article will have a distinct distal taper, beginning very thick at the base of the spine near the guard and tapering sharply toward the point. The repros have near uniform thickness, or very little taper, the entire length of the blade.
Thankyou for the response. The taper seemed correct to me, however I lost out on it. It sold for $800 AUD which was $50 more than I could spend.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: