help with customizing a sword
I'm looking for some advice on my first sword build
I'm modifying an old windlass Norwegian sword that I've had laying around and I'm having issues making the grip. i don't have a plane small enough to fit into the grove I've cut for the tang and so i keep getting uneven parts on the inside of the grip from the small files I'm using it there a better way to flatten these out or just careful work. the end result in looking to make is a gaddhjalt style sword and I'm planing to forge out a brazil nut style pommel but i have little practice with pommels and i can't seem to find a shape of material to start with would it be worthwhile to start with a thiner bar of steel then work it into shape or should i start with a block rather than a bar? my first few attempts came out looking more like a poor excuse for modern art rather than pommels
If doing a two-piece sandwich grip, your best bet is chisels and scrapers along with the small files you're already using. Alternate between them as needed to remove high spots and check the fit often. It does take a bit of finesse, but it sounds like you're on the right track. If you have some slight unevenness, worry not. So long as the fit is good, any voids or gaps should be filled with epoxy/glue when you do final assembly.

Forging a pommel to that shape can be tricky. Not sure how advanced your forging skills are, but choosing the correct size stock to start with will help. To get the brazil nut shape in period, I suspect that smiths might have had swages (or swage blocks) made to help form the pommel hot, then finished it off with grinding. This is probably not economical for a customization project, so I would suggest starting with larger stock than you will need, then doing most of your shaping via stock removal from there. Hope this helps, and good luck with your project. :)

- Josh

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: